Zipp 60 vs Fast Forward F4R/ F6R vs DA C50 vs ?? vs Chinese

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BCSS

by BCSS

All,

looking for some winter aero wheels with alu break surface. Following under consideration, wondering whether people have experience with those and/ or have alternative suggestions. Also any 'Chinese' option? Live in the UK, so unfo many US options not available

Currently I am thinking in decreasing order of preference:

1) Front F4R/ Rear F6R (the newly released ones seem to have a wider profile and are deeper than the old ones)
2) Zipp 60 (major concern is stiffness, never ridden Zipps but always hear they are very flexy)
3) DA C50 (find them a bit boring)

Major criteria are (in decreasing order of priority) 1) Reliability 2) Stiffness 3) Aero 4) Weight

Many thanks for your input!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slagter

by Slagter

The wheels you mention are from my point of view more like summer training wheels or maybe even better for northern europe. You really want to ride those in the UK winter? What kind of wheels do you race on?

In the wintertime I´m more like Shimano R501/RS11. I would choose the cheapest and most durable of the three you mention.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Farsports FSW50-CA & FSW38-CA might be what your are looking for. Lace them to Campy Record or something like White Industries T11. Even DT Swiss could be an option. You could go with Chinese hubs as well (cannot comment which one would be suitable for your purpose).

Another option is Mavic Cosmic Elite S. It is not light, and definitely inferior to DA C50. I just got my wife's new bike yesterday and it came with these wheels. First impression (except for the weight) was good.

BCSS

by BCSS

@Slagter used to have Cosmic Carbone that I was riding summer/ winter (even in proper continental winter) with no issues, riding now full carbon wheels in the summer and looking for deep section with alu break surface for the winter

@AndreLM cheers! will look into that

Slagter

by Slagter

BCSS; maybe I misunderstood your post. You´re not riding your winter bike with mudguards?

BCSS

by BCSS

nope (and there is no winter bike, one bike has to deal with all of it, but so far it survived :-) )

Tomstr

by Tomstr

If you go for pre-built wheels Shimano Dura-Ace is the way to go. Yes they're boring but they roll smooth and get the job done. Also hold their value well if you want something else down the road.

If you go for a handmade build you can go 2 options hub-wise. Either the cheap ones and replace (cheap!) bearings once a year (what I do) or invest in a set of DT Swiss 240's and try to ride the life out of them. Good luck! ;)
Ride it like you stole it

sawyer

by sawyer

DA of those you've chosen if cost is fine

Not sure why you'd bother too much with that depth of wheel for winter specficially though? You want something reasonably aero - always - but perhaps a mid-depth or shallow wheel with low spoke count and steel spokes would be nicer to ride?

My bog standard choice for winter is Campag Zonda. On DA I'd go for the C24s
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Slagter

by Slagter

Ok I get it now. I thought you wanted to ride aerowheels with mudguards....

Of the three you mention, I totally agree with Tomstr: DA C50 or home build wheels with DT Swiss 240s hubs...

anagy

by anagy

Swiss Side Hadron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j0oftheworld

by j0oftheworld

I've got my eye on a few sets of wheels available locally.. These are for my CAAD10 racer/backup machine.

First up,
2014 HED Belguim Plus wheel set w/ White Industries T11 hubs, built up and used the first part of this year only. No tires/cass $650obo

Second,
Shimano Dura Ace Carbon 1380, zipp skewers, Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick tires, friend of mine and used more than above wheels, no cass$450obo

Third,
2014 Reynolds strykes SLG clinchers, new take-offs, no tires/cass, $900obo

I had a set of Ardennes and LOVED them but I'm not familiar w. the White Ind hubs and how much appeal that adds to them. I've also settled on something w. a AL brake tract as I've had full carbon and I'm not a huge fan.

Thanks for any input!
JasonM. Tempe, AZ
'14 SW Roubaix / '16 Allez Sprint

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Are you looking for training wheels or race/event wheels?
Zipp hubs are high maintenance and not good for winter/ wet weather - I just had to replace bearings on mine
DT hubs are great in the wet and bearings last for years
The FFWD are really good value for money, I have a set of F6R Tubulars and they have been amazing all round. Hubs use DT internals.
Shimano are good, easy to replace bearings, reliable, etc, etc.

My wet weather training wheels are HPlus Son rims laced to DT hubs 28/32 spokes. Rims are cheap to replace when worn and not expensive.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

BCSS

by BCSS

Cheers Ozrider, Perth how can you guys ever get bad weather :-)

Between FFWD and C50, any particular preference? i would like to run a F4R front F6R back set up, that attracts me and seems aerodynamically more advanced than the C50's, but while Shimano is boring you know it works

A wheel set for both, believe it or not I was running my Cosmics all year for all kind of set ups, so basically looking for the same type of qualities

GreenGoat93

by GreenGoat93

I think the HED would be a good choice. They are strong and unlike the Shimano wheels they have more than 1 spoke haha. They are 25mm width which is the new trend and offer better traction etc etc. Hub wise they are good. Keep em serviced and you will have no problems
-Trek Madone 6 Series SSL 2012 with Sram Red 22 and American Classic Aero 420 wheels
-Bombrack Divide 2013
Also
Metho Everything!

Slagter

by Slagter

@ j0oftheworld

Those 3 wheel sets are very different and not in the same category at all. I guess it depends on what you are intending to use them for on your backup machine.

You have a full carbon rim on the Reynolds wheelset and full alu in the HED rim, and the shimano are in-between with a little bitt of both.

They have very different hights and prices.

The HEDs with WI T11 is the very durable wheelset, that just keeps going for thousands of km´s. The WI T11 hubs will last you for many years with a minimum of service and are very beautiful hubs.

The Reynolds wheelset IMO is more for racing. If you use them in all kinds of weather, the carbon rims will not last very long. The shimanos are somewhere in-between but considerably lighter.

What kind of weather conditions do you have where you ride? And what kind of terrain?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com