Disc wheel or cover for current wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

I'll be focusing on 10mile and 25mile time-trials next year (low grade in Ireland, aiming to get upgraded to cat 3). I currently have a set of 50mm carbon tubular wheels from WheelSmith.co.uk (Gigantex rims I think, Chris King hubs) and also a set of DuraAce C24 clinchers.

I love the C24s for all-round riding and climbing in particular, they fly uphill and the hubs are great and seem to roll very quick on the flat. I use the 50mm tubs for racing (unless it's very hilly) and time-trialling and they do feel very fast.

I'm reluctant to spend yet more significant cash on a disc wheel as I've made several major investments recently (Power2Max cranks etc.) so I wanted to ask for advice on how getting a cover would compare (aero-wise) to getting a disc wheel and what options are best for getting it shipped to Ireland. And which wheel could I/should I put the cover on if I go that route, the C24 or 50mm carbons? both hubs are excellent so would it make most sense to put the cover on the lighter C24?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Raltech cover should be pretty close, performance wise to most discs.
Think they're about £100.
Checkout the timetrialling forum for reviews and contact details etc
Get one for the gigantex :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

Thanks for that jekyll man. Have sent a registration request to timetriallingforum.co.uk and also had a look over on the slowtwitch forum and it seems Raltech are the way to go. Can see the logic on getting the disc on the carbon rims as it'll be able to be a smaller disc given the rims come down further, hopefully make for a smoother joint with the rim too.

Greg66

by Greg66

I used an Aerojacket cover last year (tri-ing - sorry!). Pretty good. Upsides are (supposedly) 80% of the aero benefit for 1/10 the cost of a disc. Which is really the end of the debate unless you are right at the pointy end of the field.

Downsides are no "whup whup whup" as you pass people. Also they work best (IMO) with no screws, but taped to the rim with electrical tape. I think you can order them undrilled. Also need to tape the DS disc cover to the spokes tightly with duck tape on the inside to prevent rubbing on the mech when usin the biggest sprocket. Also tape a magnet to the outside of the nds surface if you have a chainstay pickup. A spoke magnet under the cover isn't so reliable.

davidalone

by davidalone

note if you race UCI covers are illegal.

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

thanks davidalone - I aim to use the covers for time-trials, hopefully in Cat 3 in Ireland next year, doubt UCI rules apply at that fairly low level? Guess I can double-check with local cycling federation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com