Radial Spoking of Record Hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Mine are the older silver ones, but same as the contemporary black ones. Only Sig Campagnolo when writing his manual di instruzioni warns me against radial spoking. Is that advice still current? And are they just being over-cautious in a Campagnolo kind of way? Or are these flanges prone to failure in the case of radial spoking and what might be higher stresses?

Thanks for any comments.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Why to go radial? It does not worth it just to save a few grams.

ITTY

by ITTY

If the technical documents for the hubs say not to lace radial, I would heed that advice, even if it is a conservative measure. Better safe than sorry.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, there's not a whole lot of flange there for radial lacing, and you're talking about 32 holes right? I wouldn't do it. I've laced quite a few record hubs and always use 3 cross lacing pattern. It's just nice and classic and works, and that's what the hubs were designed for.
Having said that, I've ridden with a guy who had a radial laced Shimano hub (at least 32 hole) front wheel with stainless steel spokes. It was mesmorizing to watch it in motion while riding. Hard to explain, but kind of cool. Still, I wouldn't do it from a functional standpoint.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Radial looks nicer. Guess I am asking for trouble - 36h at the back and 32 front.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

There is no performance adavntage and given the rarity of record silver hubs and there cost why take the risk.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Why one earth did they get rid of the grease port? They are the best thing ever with loose bearing hubs.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don't know... but in all the years I've been working with Campy, I've never actually used the grease port on the older hubs. Always seemed better to pull it apart and clean everything then repack with nice fresh grease. Very easy hubs to work on.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Stefano

by Stefano

In a similar vein-- what is the consensus with 2:1 lacing 24h on a rear record hub? Is the flange spacing fairly suitable or is it a no-go?

ITTY

by ITTY

Assuming you mean "triplet" style lacing, I would advise against that as well, as it is radial on the non-drive side, in addition to fewer spokes resulting in increased stress concentration on the hub.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

ITTY wrote:Assuming you mean "triplet" style lacing, I would advise against that as well, as it is radial on the non-drive side, in addition to fewer spokes resulting in increased stress concentration on the hub.

Some do cross spoke NDS on triplet's... works fine.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.