Not another what wheel thread...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peted76

by peted76

Hi Guys, long time lurker, fettler and newbie poster here.

I'm currently running a 2014 Giant TCR Comp 0 with the stock PR-2 wheelset currently. I can't find any accurate weights for these wheels but I'm gonna guess they are around the 2000g mark unclothed (as they defo feel lighter than a set of R500s).
I've weight weenied most things that aren't too expensive or can be done in my garage, to the point where I'm left with bigger weeny'ing projects or buying upgrades.

For reference, I'm based in the UK and weigh around the 75kg mark.

I'm a better climber than rouleur, but sitting firmly in the MAMIL stereotype, I'm talking 50 mile club runs and 30 mile training rides, not crits and races with the young guns.

I'm looking for a set of all purpose wheels at around the £400 mark.
Ideally I would like a set of 1500g 30-40mm deep clinchers but I don't think that's achievable is it?
I did start looking at handbuilds but couldn't see any deep rimmed options within my price range (I must admit it also confused the bejezzus out of me looking at various hubs and options)

Always a deal going on somewhere, prices may have changed today... but this is where I am....Looking at:

Fulcrum 3's @ £349/£399 (but do I pay more for a two way fit version?)
Campy Zonda @ £286/£380 (but do I pay more for a two way fit version?) - don't like the loud hub sound
Shimano RS81 C24 @ £370
Mavic Cosmic Eliete S Road @ £299
SwissSide - Heidi @ £210
Swissside - Franc @ £344

Can this venerable community offer this poor sap some help?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

sorry rulcrum R3's and campagnolo zonda's are not deep. Many wheelbuilders in the U.K including myself build with 25mm+ deep rims. My advise though if looking at handbuilts get a 23mm or wider rim. Better handling, improved comfort a winner really. The H plus archetype or Pacenti SL23 are good ones to pick.

1500g 30mm 40mm clinchers can only be done with carbon and you will need more money for those unless you buy froma chinese supplier.
A 25mm deep 23mm wide low spoke count wheelset will be fairly aero anyway and for the riding you do an aero wheelset is just for show.

The new 2015 fulcrum wheel range R3's e.t.c LG CX wheels are 23mm wide 17mm internal width. If going with a factory set these are the ones to get now.

To be honest most factory wheelset are very similar. Fulcrum R3 will ride much like the zonda's or shimano R81. Mavic's I hate but thats a personal thing and swiss side I have no idea on and don't care to have an opinion either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peted76

by peted76

There is some food or thought there, are hand builts going to be any better or worse than factory built at the price point ?
Chinese carbons look too good to be true (no pun intended) for the prices... What are the downsides of Chinese Carbon do they use substandard hubs? Cheap components?

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Generally you'll get a better handbuilt wheelset for the same price as factory prebuilts unless you find a killer sale or something.

I'm not familiar with prices in Europe but White Industries T11 hubs, laced to Kinlin 279 with laser spokes should be pretty light, affordable, and durable depending on spoke count. There might be better hubs for the money in Europe though.

I think the consensus on Chinese carbon clinchers is till all over the map. Some think they're safe while other think they'll explode first ride with plenty of people in the middle.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Chinese wheels use novatec or bitex hubs mostly. There are different hub models some are more all weather than others. bitex hub spares in the U.K are non existent except through Planet X who use bitex hubs in there wheels. No idea what spares they stock though.

Personally I use Miche Primato hubs in most wheel builds because they are low cost and very reliable also available in drilling from 20H to 36H. Many wheel builders though do not OEM order hubs from miche so if they want a reliable hub set they turn to Hope, White Industries, ambrosio (novatec a171/f172) or shimano.

A handbuilt wheel is only as good as the wheel builder. there are excellent wheelbuilders and really bad ones too. Same with factory wheels fulcrums are generally good along with campagnlo and miche wheels but you pay more for an equivelent build compared to handbuilts normally.

Chinese wheel suppliers do use some good rims the build quality of the wheels is sometimes good and sometimes no so good it depends on who has done them. I cannot offer any more advise on chinese wheels as I wouldn't buy one. Instead I ride/race on land of carbon fibre sourced rims (that's my new name for china) which I built up on Miche Primato hubs, these are great.

So I already know you are probably going to go with factory wheels. Don't bother with carbon wheels for general all purpose riding, they are racing wheels and hubs often used will not stand up to U.K winter weather. A good set of fulrum R3's will do the trick or a set of archetype or Pacenti SL23 rims (Kinlin XC-279's in the U.K are not currently available in 20h and 24H drillings due to supply issue) on Hope, Novatec (ambrosio zenith) A171/f172 or Miche Primato hubs with sapim laser spokes in 24F/28R for longevity of the spokes. The latter would be a good all purpose wheelset whilst the fulcrum R3 LG CX would be factory equivelant.

peted76

by peted76

I just wanted to say thank you to bm0p700f after a chat on the phone, he's explained things in simple terms to me and cleared up some nagging questions.
*tips_hat*

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com