Question about Hubs: 10 speed cassette on 11 speed hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hustlehard285

by hustlehard285

So is it possible to run a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed hub? Do you just add a spacer? Here's the scenerio:
I ordered a focus mares through a shop and it was sent with the recalled sram s700 hydro. The shop owner called Sram and they said they were sending a replacement set. 2 weeks later, no brakes. We call and they say they're all out of stock and wont be back in stock for 2 more weeks. So my next wuestion to Sram (which hasn't been asked yet) is whether they'll upgrade my s700 to Force 22 hydro since they're the same price.
Now the second part of all this is I ordered a set of light-bicycle carbon wheels a week ago. I ordered them with the 10 speed hub (novatec 711/712), but I emailed the lady who took my order and she said I can still change it to an 11 speed hub.
So my question is should I just order an 11 speed hub? If it is feasible to run a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed hub (using and extra spacer) then i'll have my bases covered for whatever Sram decides on for my new brake levers. Anyone know anything about this?

naylor343

by naylor343

Yes, just leave the supplied spacer on the hub and fit 10 speed cassette as normal. If you are getting new complete 11 speed bike, the 10 speed spacer may not come with it so ask you lbs for one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

Take the 11 speed body, it can also fit 10 speed cassettes, so you will have more options.

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

You need to add a 1.85mm spacer to the hub before you place the 10 speed cassette on the 11 speed hub. If the hub doesn't come with one of these spacers, you can get one from Wheels Manufacturing. I'd go with the 11 speed hub; it gives you more options going forward.

highpowernut

by highpowernut

I'd definitely talk about the upgrade, due to the wait.
Using Tapatalk

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Don't know if the Force shifter is 10 or 11s, but are you ok with a 11s shifter on a 10sp cassette?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Hopefully it's not too late, get the 11s for sure and just run the spacer. That way you're ready for 11 speed. If you get the 10-speed hub you can't use it for 11.
adrenaline junkie