DT Swiss 350 disc brake hub with campagnolo freehub -problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I have a bike to finish of and the wheels are using the 350 disc brake straight pull hub which of course comes with a 10 speed shimano body. Given I have done on more than one occassion put an 11 speed road body on these hubs with no issues I had assumed a campagnolo freehub would fit. Well it does and it works but when the wheel is in the frame with the Q/R done up the freehub body binds. So why is this happening everything inside the freehub that should be there is there for the mechanism to work. Is there a fundimental imcompatibility in the parts, the UK serivce centre has not been very helpful. the DT Swiss tech manual does not shed any light either as far as I can tell.

Plan B is to use a shimano 11 speed body and ultegra cassette with the chorus drivetrain but this is not what I had planned.

Any help in identify why the problem is occuring as I have drawn a blank. Oh the hub works fine with shimano 10 and 11 speed bodies.

The one thing I have found out is the axle spacer for the campagnolo version of the hubs and the shimano version are both 15.4mm long I was hoping they were different but can some one confirm this by measuring the spacer in a campagnolo road 350 hub?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

What lockring you using geezer? I ask that because the original Campag ones have quite long threaded sections, so long in fact that the leading edge can sometimes ever so slightly bottom out if used in some types of hub. After market alloy ones, like Token, have shorter threaded sections with less danger of bottoming-out.

But probably nothing to do with the lockring at all ...

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Which drive side end cap are you using with the Campy freehub? The Shimano 10spd end cap and Shimano 11spd end caps are different lengths (11spd is slightly longer).
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Wel the problem occurs even if no cassette is fitted i,e just campagnolo freehub fitted and wheel secured by Q/R. I am using the DS end cap for the campagnolo freehub as supplied by madison. I don't know the part number, however I am lead to believe there is only one. The shimano end cap does not fit the campagnolo freehub anyway too wide.

I went to plan B on the customers bike fitted an HG-11 speed freehub and an ultegra cassette for his campagnolo drivetrain but I need to resolve the the problem somehow. Another play tommorrow is in order, maybe it was a faulty freehub as the first HG-11 freehub I fitted did not silde on without the outer bearing popping out - the inner sleave is to smaller in the ID to slide over the axle properly hense the problem so I think the freehub is at fault now.

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

Any luck with a fix?
I'm doing the same thing and getting the same results. I tried DT in the states but no reply let?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

No fix and no one has been able to explain. I will try to contact DT Swiss in europe and see what they say. At least it's not just me.

stormur

by stormur

HWYCBX00S1239S / Shimano CAN be replaced by HWYABX00S1296S / Campagnolo , BUT this is mentioned ONLY for road hubs. HWYABX00S1296S / Campagnolo is not mentioned anywhere as "accessory" in DT Swiss documentation, however HWYCBX00S1239S / road / is mentioned as spare for MTB hubs, but HWYABX00S1296S NOT.

It can be some differences in design- road hubs are "ready" for it, MTB not. I never found any DT "disc" hub working with Campa-compatible freehub…

I went thru Campy + disc brakes + DT Swiss 2 y ago…. Finished with Sram ;)

It can be ( just can ) that "older" dt hubs ( 240 disc f.e. ) before 10/135-12x142/ xd era will be compatible ( earlier was full interchangebility between campa/ Shimano on 240 hubs ) - I suppose, that 5-135 ONLY hubs can be campa-compatible, these with wider axle options- not.

You can't even buy Spline ( road ) disc brake wheels with Campa freehub…. Shimano only.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

My hunch would have been something to do with the end cap and lockring combination causing the issue but I might be wrong.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

my hunch too initally but without the lockring the problem appear when the Q/R is done up1

stormur

by stormur

Answer from DT Swiss :

"I talked because of you a little bit of this topic with our technique. So I can tell you following:

DT Swiss 240s classic hub 5x135 is convertible for campagnolo
DT Swiss 350 classic hub 5x135 is convertible if it is equipped with ratchet system
All Hubs which are equipped with 2-Pawl system are not convertible for campagnolo."

by "classic" DT understand "non-straight-pull"

According to DT tech rep RC series DB ( disc brake ) is convertible as well .
Mark Twain

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

thanks for that, so the non straight pull disc brakes hubs can be used with campagnolo. I will have to try that. DT Swiss never answered my e-mails.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Start your emails with " I'd like to buy DT Swiss xxxxx product, but….." ;) - but seriously, I got answer ALWAYS within 48h.

They use to not answer "dealers" not being on their list….

350 "road" SP ( 130 non disc RATCHET ) is convertible, so SP hubs may be too… but I think ( have no possibility to check, however from design point of view it has to be possible ) - that any disc hub accepting freehub "HWYCBX00S1239S" , can be converted .

There's similar issue with Fulcrum racing "__" CX convertion - difference in tiny spacer on DS - without it forget, but possible to order ( <5£ ) and voila :)

Anyway, glad that could help .
Mark Twain