New BHS rims: 31mm deep and 24mm wide @ 480g...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Anyone know if this is another Kinlin Rim? Would it replace the previous 28mm deep and 23mm wide version?

http://www.bikehubstore.com/ProductDeta ... ctCode=C31

I wonder if these will get heavier over time too... Also, what do people think of them in terms of aero? would it be similar to the Flo30, or is that hoping too much?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Looks interesting. I don't think it will be near the Flo 30 because it's missing a lot of the features of a good aero rim like the angled brake track and the rim being wider between the spokes and bead part of the rim. On the other hand the wind tunnel seems to be the real test. Eyeballing aero is not a guaranteed thing. The devil is in the details. If only the Flo 30 was lighter it would be an amazing rim.

I saw this:

"*We have weighed several 24h rims at 466-470 grams. The 28h seem to be averaging around 483g. "

Is it normal for high spoke counts to come in heavier? I would have guessed them to be lighter because of more holes.

Just noticed BHS is carrying White Industries now. Cool!
http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/c31wikit.htm

Enoch

by Enoch

I was able to get some samples from the initial run of these rims. I have built up a couple of sets. We've put about 400 miles on each set. THe rims are very wide with a blunt profile in the spoke bed. THe spoke bed is nice and thick and should help to prevent cracks. I couldn't begin to say if they are more or less aero than brand X Y or Z. I do like the shape of the rim, they look very robust when you first see them. THe current batch has actually lost about 10-18 grams over the sample runs which were around 490 grams. I'm running 76 lbs of air in mine w/ Michlin Pror 4's in 25c. Tire measures 28.3 mm

LouisN

by LouisN

@rims people: PLease, please come up with a rounder profile, tubular option, at less than 430 g :x

Louis :)

stl516

by stl516

LouisN: years ago there was something called tb14? I think now has different model number.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

LouisN wrote:@rims people: PLease, please come up with a rounder profile, tubular option, at less than 430 g :x

Do you think there is any significant aero difference between, say, a Velocity Escape and a rounder counterpart of similar specs?
(BTW the Dura Ace 7800 series alu tubular had a very nice rounded profile at 21mm with / 23mm height, but they are quite rare now it seems)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Not a huge difference. The HED belgian C2 rim is probably the most aero tubular rim about today.

LouisN

by LouisN

Ah, well....

Don't want to hijack this thread.
I discussed it in a thread about where alloy tubular rims should go.....

I'm amazed at the rate that rims manufacturers bring so many different (but very much the same) clincher rims shapes to the market though.
Kind of red herring to me...

Louis :)

dzmlyk

by dzmlyk

I was also lucky enough to score a set of these to try out. The extra depth seems to yield a stiffer rim than say an SL23. Wheelset weight was 1487 grams using SL79/SL210, 20/24 CX-Rays, and brass nipples DS. I don't see this replacing the XC-279 although it might move the XC-279 price down a little. I don't think anyone has mentioned that this rim is tubeless compatible. Running 23mm Maxxis Roulers and the tire width is almost dead on the brake track width. Nothing but good things to say after 5 weeks and over 1000 miles.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

According to the link in the original post:

"This tubeless-ready rim is available with both a machined brake track and without for disc hubs."

Glad to hear good things so far dzmlyk. How does the quality compare to the SL23?

@LouisN, I agree, a lot of rims coming out but they all seem so similar.

dzmlyk

by dzmlyk

+1 on the disc version, I have a couple of guys chomping at the bit for sets. I think this will be some serious competition for the Velocity Aileron rims. The Velocity rim may be a little more aero at 30mph but right now the disc market seems to be focused more on the gravel grinder type bikes so I don't see this as an issue.

The ride quality is definitely on par with the SL23. A little heavier rim but you can tell it is stiffer. Seems to hold speed a little better. I would say that cornering and ride comfort is pretty comparable between the two. Probably a better choice for heavier riders. And if it matters, they built up a little easier than the SL23 too.

Enoch

by Enoch

Definately easier to get tires on and off than the SL23. I have not run any tubeless, but you can tell they would seat up nice by the way tires stay on the bead when deflating them, you literaly have to un seat them and put them in the channel to remove.

pushstart

by pushstart

I just ordered a set of these to build up for a friend's commuter (24/28, which is probably overkill). The dimensions sound awesome -- similar to Flo30. (@Enoch, thanks for posting the measured tire width; that was my only concern that running 25mm tires may require that the frame support 28mm -- I *think* not a problem in my buddy's case.) FWIW, my 25mm Conti GP4000S tires on the Flo30 (internal width of 19.1mm IIRC) is also 28mm.

I'm definitely looking forward to the disc-brake / non-machined version, though I *just* built Flo30 wheels for myself, so probably need to find someone else that needs disc-brake wheels. On the surface the Flo30 sounds like it would be a nicer rim w/ it being welded and all, but in practice mine were quite out of round at the weld (hop); I've never had any problems at all with other BHS / Kinlin rims, so I'm guessing that the build up will be nicer on these. We'll see.

Yeah, definitely would not expect the aero advantages of the Flo30 in these rims, but the wide profile is nice regardless.

Any recommendations on spoke tension? I default to 120Kgf, but not sure if others have specific guidance/experience with these.

Enoch

by Enoch

I used one to replace a cracked Zipp 101 rim. THey are almost identical @ 6 feet. THe Zipps are rounder in the middle, and narrower at the brake track. THe BHS are 1 mm taller. ERD is 1 mm difference so I got to re use the spokes.
Last edited by Enoch on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

pushstart wrote:Yeah, definitely would not expect the aero advantages of the Flo30 in these rims, but the wide profile is nice regardless.

BHS rim:

I couldn't find a proper cross section of the Flo rim, but it's probably a little more aero.

The BHS rim can be lighter because it doesn't bulge out like the Flo and it's less U shaped. Both of those require a thicker sidewall.

You should be fine at 120kg. At any rate if the rim fails it won't be because the tension was "too high" at that level.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com