Belgian Black Rims Available?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

Are they the same as on these new wheels?

Where can you get them?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/09/05/eb1 ... ear-wheel/

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

I don't believe so. All I've seen available right now is just an anodized finish, not the surface treatment these new wheels get. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the rims to their complete wheels, though it would be nice for one of these new rims with surface treatments to be available as a stand alone rim.

The only all black Belgium+ rims I've seen thus far all look like this:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I got some from HED UK took a while though. Sold them though damm fine rims. 28H and 32H only which is all you need really. In fact trying to get HED rims in the U.K is hard patient work no fault of HED UK I think but the supply from HED in the U.S seems to be insufficent to meet demand. Rummor is HED are considering no supply rims aftermarket next year.

The velocity aileron though is no on the market, same weight, disc specific better profile and cheaper. Use that instead.

pushstart

by pushstart

If looking for rims w/o a brake track -- like the Aileron -- then also consider the new Stans Grail rim. Nice aero shape, wide. Just built a wheelset with those; they are really nice rims: built up really easily / true with very even tensions, finish is great. The Flo30 should probably be considered too, though I am not as impressed with how that rim builds up -- and weighs 100g more than the Grail.

rideforfun

by rideforfun

Those are the disc specific belgium plus rims without the brake track. I have a set of those on my cross bike. They really are beautifully built rims.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I think the OP is referring to the new ones with the Exalith-esque brake surface (as in, for rim brakes - not disc) that is machined, designed for better braking and uses a black finish...

As for the guy up there ^^ using the disc version of the rim with rim brakes... :shock:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The belgain + disc rim is the rim brake rim with a non machined wall sidewall, so it is the same rim and the brake is still there not disc specific.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

True enough, but without the machining for braking, and with anodising covering the surface, it's a really bad idea to actually use them with rim brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

bm0p700f wrote:...In fact trying to get HED rims in the U.K is hard patient work no fault of HED UK I think but the supply from HED in the U.S seems to be insufficent to meet demand. Rummor is HED are considering no supply rims aftermarket next year.

I knew it :cry: now I can easy justify my small stock of C2 rims :wink:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)