Complicated Rebuild with older Alloy/Carbon rims- help!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

I've got an older set of HED alps wheels ( alloy/carbon fairing construction) some of the nipples were seized, so I took out all the spokes from the hub. The rim looks reasonably straight when lying on a flat surface, and it's a decently nice wheel, so I think it may be worth a shot to rebuild these.

Questions: the HED alps front hub uses a system where the spokes are threaded into the hub and then internally threaded with a nipple at the rim. this means it requires spokes threaded on both ends ( a pain to get, really.) Could I replace the hub with a standard hub to save the trouble? If I were to do so, how would I go about finding the ERD for an older rim?

If I do use the old hub, can I re-use the spokes? these spoke are probably about 8-10 years old, so I question their durability. plus they were handled quite abit when getting those stubborn nipples to move. if I don't re-use the spokes then I'll have to source spokes (probably go with rounded rather than these super hard to find bladed titanium spokes) and cut and thread them.

last questions: the wheel uses internal nipples, which I've not actually done before. are there any considerations when building a wheel with internal nipples?

* oops, wrong section. admin please move to 'everything wheels!'

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

google measuring ERD it is pretty simple. Use spocalc to determine spoke lengths with a new hub. Buy new hubs and build. You will need internal nipples which you will have to buy seperatly if internal nipples are what is used but your statment of nipples threaded internally is unclear as it could mean cnovential external nipples as you drop those into the rim too.

When you measure the ERD of the rim for internal nipples you must measure with the internal nipples you intend to use. Google measuring ERD and the pics will tell all you need and adapt for the nipples you need.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

Everything said above - buy new hub, do new spokes and nipples. DT Swiss makes excellent internal nipples in addition to excellent spokes, and their excellent spoke calculator will help you along after you measure the ERD!

davidalone

by davidalone

How do you measure the ERD of a internal nipple rim? I know how to do that when you can see the nipple but not when you cant... do I thread the spoke all the way to the end of the nipple and use taht as a measurement?

latman

by latman

i think the front spokes are titanium ...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You pop the internal nipple on you 200mm spokes and pop them in the rim and measure as normal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com