Tyres on Mavic Open Pro - 23 vs 25

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CaptainP

by CaptainP

In two weeks i'm to France and Majorca (living in FLAT Denmark) and thinking of upgrading my tyres a bit.

Normally I ride Zipp 404 FC with 25mm GP4000s2 and really like their grip - i've now had a pair of Mavic Open Pro build for the climbing.

I'm thinking about Veloflex Master or Vittoria Evo Corsa SC (yes i'm a sucker for gumwalls) but can't decide on how wide - 23mm vs. 25mm.

I'm mostly mostly concerned about grip - so thinking 25mm will be best?

But are there any pros and cons conserning grip from 23mm/25mm on the 15mm internal width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

OP rimmmed wheels for climbing. Climbing wheels like all wheels should be stiff while the OP rim is light it is not stiff, even in 36H drilling with plain gauge spokes and a shimano ultegra hub (heavy wheels) they are not a stiff and therefore transfer power less well than a 24 spoke rear built with a novatec or miche hub, Pacenti SL23 rim and laser spokes.

Personally it's is was a good rim 10 years ago but things have moved on. Your Zipps will do you better. Anyway you have them now so stick the 25mm tyres on them wider is always better even on the open pro.

mattr

by mattr

They aren't even massively light! 450 ish grams iirc.
ok for an alloy clincher, the 404 rims are probably lighter.
think the OP is probably one of the best do everything rim, training, racing, bit of cross, bit of commuting.

fwiw I've run 20, 23, 25, 28, 33 and 38 on open pros with no issues.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

bm0p700f wrote:the OP rim is light it is not stiff, even in 36H drilling with plain gauge spokes and a shimano ultegra hub (heavy wheels) they are not a stiff and therefore transfer power less well than a 24 spoke rear built with a novatec or miche hub, Pacenti SL23 rim and laser spokes.

I call bullshit on this! I've had more than a few of these wheels over the years in 28, 32 & 36 which were plenty stiff...maybe not if you weigh over 100kg.

Maybe the rim width will change the feel but a Pacenti SL23 is no lightweight either...454gms.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I would certainly call my 36h 3x OP build with Aerolites on Shimano hubs stiff. Maybe even too stiff, they feel a bit dead compared to other wheels. Guess 32h would have been fine, but couldn't find them in Ceramic.

To the OP: 25mm if you can. People have been running wider tyres on narrow rims for decades without problems. If you can get 23s at a good discount, you might as well go for it. Not worth losing sleep over 2mm of tyre width for cruising around and having a good time. Focus on taking in the scenery!

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I found bigger tires on narrow rims feel squirrely in the turns, like the tire is trying to roll over. Not very confidence inspiring. Although the 25c Veloflex master and corsa are smaller than other 25c tires such as the Vittoria Open Corsa. I don't have exact measurements but I'd say the Veloflex 25c master is much close to the Vittoria Open Corsa 23c than 25c. I've been riding the Veloflex for a while now and I'd recommend them.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I build alot of wheels and I have used the OP rim alot and it is O.K but next to a wheel built with the archetype rim well there is no comparison I'm afraid so it not bulshit. I build 24 spoke wheels with the archetype rim that are stiffer (latterally) than a 36 spoke OP rimmed wheel with the same hub and spokes (sapim race). So while the Open Pro is a do it all rim there are other rims that do it all better. That does not means you shouldn't use them far from it they are cheap, and classic looking and that works for many. From a performance perspective though there is better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Ok...good reply.