HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:34 am 

I think Charles' old signature said it best about the only criticism being "that's ugly". Can't deny it needs to look good, but the offering isn't any different to a lot of others (Reynolds, Zipp, etc).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:55 am 

Darkinstall's rant was on the money, so to speak ... too expensive and look rubbish

Unless they independently test much faster then ENVE/Zipp etc they won't sell

Good to see a female CEO (is she attractive?)

:wink: JOKE - it's a holiday here in the UK, it's raining, and I can't ride ... :|

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:55 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:08 am 

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Bev also worked closely with Simon Smart when the SES Enve range was being designed. She knows her onion - being a woman and the CEO was not some sort of symbolic gesture.

Loads of balls. One of those people is responsible for making ENVE's fast, and it's not Beverly. Simone's job is sitting in a wind tunnel making things fast (Drag2Zero is no joke).

As has been mentioned, testing off the bike means nothing. Dimond bikes tunnel faster than traditional TT bikes until you add a rider...

I would also bet my left nut that the RZR 92 tunnels faster (Paul Lew is also no joke).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 am 

You've taken me out of context, at no point did I say Bev was the brains behind it (Enve SES). She was part of the team which branded them 'Smart' wheels. Me claiming otherwise would be crazy. I had dinner with them, technical questions were directed to Simon. Not that Bev doesn't have a knowledge base, rather that Simon was the guru. His knowledge certainly outstripped my ability to comprehend back then (2011).

Deep breaths Grill. Hopefully that clarifies what I was trying to say :)

I'm keen to see some testing by others once they hit the market. You'll never please everyone. But I rated my 3.4 and 6.7 wheels highly, so hoping these perform along the same lines.

sawyer wrote:
Good to see a female CEO (is she attractive?)

:wink: JOKE - it's a holiday here in the UK, it's raining, and I can't ride ... :|

:lol: :doh:

She's English and truly fun to chat with - became mates from there. Always nice to have pleasant industry types that you can have a drink with and talk bikes, tech, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:57 pm 

Tinea Pedis wrote:
She's English and truly fun to chat with - became mates from there.

We all know that feeling :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:07 pm 
Formerly known as CAADHEAD

Here's a picture of the development team :lol:

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:39 pm 

Don't hassle the hoff

My ~9.3kg / ~20.5lb Scale 29 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:34 am 

Tinea Pedis wrote:
You've taken me out of context, at no point did I say Bev was the brains behind it (Enve SES). She was part of the team which branded them 'Smart' wheels. Me claiming otherwise would be crazy. I had dinner with them, technical questions were directed to Simon. Not that Bev doesn't have a knowledge base, rather that Simon was the guru. His knowledge certainly outstripped my ability to comprehend back then (2011).

Deep breaths Grill. Hopefully that clarifies what I was trying to say :)

Indeed it does. I've seen too many people try and make a name off the back of others work, so I like to know that the right people are getting credit.

No doubt that she's business savvy and triathletes will lap these us as they love spending money on products with questionable aero credentials. Lack of tubs means I won't consider them even if their claims are on the money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:12 am 

Did some more digging, found that these designs will be available. And 'maybe' some custom decals too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:12 pm 

I appreciate companies getting into the market and putting the R&D into the research....for Asian companies to come along and copy it for much less.

You can build a set of 40mm carbon asian clinchers with Tune hubs for $1300, half the price. Or also 56mm tubulars that weight in under 1350g same hubs with CXRays. I've done it, and they are reliable and great wheels. I know most people won't build/spec their own wheels and don't trust the asian makers from China particularly, but I've had good success. And no longer willing to buy Zipp etc..anymore. Most of the bigger companies are going on their marketing spiel and hype rather than anything scientifically new/different/better the past few years.

This company is obviously designing, and having the molds/rims built in Taiwan/China, maybe stringing them up in the US in a small building. Obviously with their success from other careers and money at hand, they decided to use their names, and put money up front to design/build molds and try their hand at marketing/selling and building wheels, as many do today. Typically formula for most bikes companies/technology these days.

They are just going out and saying these are "game changers"...ROFL...yeah right. For Tony Martin maybe, but not 99.99999% of cyclist, even higher level that compete. The pros win on all sorts of frames/wheels etc...these aren't going to change anything, except going the extra marketing mile to garner attention and sell their product.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:43 am 

Kevin Quan was a engineer that worked at Cervelo. He designed the R3.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:45 pm 

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 65mm Knight's. I will post photos and a ride report as soon as possible. My comparison will be against Reynolds 46's and Enve 3.4's. Can't wait to ride and report...

Go to page Previous  1, 2