Race Orientated Ti Frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I’m looking to replace/upgrade my Scott CR1 at some point this winter. I’ve been deliberating for about 3 months now and have been unable to reach any sort of decision unfortunately. I really like the idea of a race orientated Ti frame, but having never ridden Ti, I’m pretty unsure. I’m a big guy, 1.95m & 90kgs, so concerned about frame stiffness given the reputation for titanium frames to be a little flexible. If making the frame really stiff would take away some of the reputed ‘magic carpet’ ride I’m not sure it would be worth it. So I’d really like to hear from people who have ridden both racy Ti bikes and racy carbon bikes to get a comparison.

This would be my everyday bike, built up with Ultegra 6800. But it would also be my race bike. I don’t race much, maybe 5 times a year, but I already have my Saffron as a best/too nice to race bike, so this would be used for a few a year. I ride a pretty aggressive position, 59cm top tube and about an 18-19cm head tube with 13cm of saddle to bar drop.

Price wise I’d like to keep it below £3000. I would also like to be able to buy it in the UK/Europe if possible, as importing from the USA costs a lot between shipping/import duty. So had to rule out companies like Firefly unfortunately. I have considered the Moots Vamoots RSL, the Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel Ti and No. 22 Great Divide so far. Although the Moots is probably a little too expensive.

The carbon alternatives I’ve been considering are a Colnago C60 (really really want one, but I’m put off a bit by the Italians reputation for slow/shit warranty service), Scott Addict and Trek Emonda. Also thought about a Parlee Altum, but I’d have to run a -17 stem to get the front end low enough, and part of the reason for getting rid of the CR1 is to move to a shorter than 21cm head tube. I really fancied a new Trek Madone but I’d need the H1 geometry and I think that that frame is a bit out of my price range.

Cheers,

Campbell.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

C60 as an everyday/race bike 8)

I'm in the wrong line of work clearly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I have just bought a Litespeed T1 and am currently building it up. It looks fab but i've not ridden it yet. I also have a 2006 Litespeed Ghisallo which many find very flexy but I never have, probably because it's a small and I'm 60 kg and 168 cm. Horses for courses. I do love the look of Ti and since I built up my Ghisallo it has been faultless, light, stiff enough and very comfortable. The T1 frame is much heavier so I assume it will ride stiffer but I hope it does not lose the Ti feel.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

AJS914

by AJS914

I rode a Litespeed Classic for a couple of decades. I'm a big guy - 200 pounds. The Classic was never wimpy at all. In fact it was a tad too stiff in the rear end on rough roads. I never felt a magic carpet ride. It was good and a lot lighter than my previous steel bike.

Now, I know builders like Seven are still doing Ti and I suppose refining it but I can't comment on how different the bikes are.

Since going to carbon though, I'd never look back. My carbon bikes feel stiffer (instant power transfer through the pedals) yet at the same time more comfortable with regards to road vibrations transmitted to the rider. Plus now you can get some aero qualities in a carbon frame.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

They didn't make a whole lot, but my Serotta Pronto is a very race oriented Ti bike. Very stiff, but smooth.

Previous frames have been R3SL, CAAD10, and a System Six, and I find the pronto is the best combo of the traits.

The Alchemy Eros is very similar geo and production.
Another option is Kent Eriksen, made to order and amazing craftsmanship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikedoc

by bikedoc

My lynskeys have won many a race and national level TT's
My 10 year old level4 customs road still wins the odd race

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

my vote is for lynskey, level 3 or level 4. superbe craftmanship and reasonably priced as well. paint jobs are also very good.

dcpdpayne

by dcpdpayne

Have you considered Darren Crisp? He's an American builder who now lives, builds and sells in Italy, thus saving some of the hassles associated with importing a bike from the former colonies (said tongue in cheek as a former colonist.) He's also a bigger guy at 190.5cm, so he might have good suggestions as how to make a Ti bike ride well for a bigger guy. There now that I've solved all your bike related needs, I think I'll head out for a pedal myself. *For what it's worth I have no association with Mr. Crisp other than seeing his frames at the North American Handmade Bicycle Shop (NAHBS) in 2010. They looked great. http://english.crisptitanium.com/about-2/

romalor

by romalor

I've owned a litespeed ultimate from 2000 , great frame for crit

Titanium22

by Titanium22

I have a No22, its superb. They class it more as an all round bike, although its head tube is quite short and racey. You could look at their Reactor, Its super light, and racey, but I'm not sure on the cost or availability.

Point

by Point

Hi Campbell, try:

Burls
Comtat
Wittson
Passoni

They're the ones I had in mind when going for my Ti frame (Burls Ti)
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

Considered Spin?
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

romalor

by romalor

Why not ebay and classifieds ?
There are plenty of good ti frames around

this one is nice , but poor fork which should be replaced by an ENVE http://www.ebay.com/itm/LITESPEED-ULTIMATE-TITANIUM-TI-ROAD-BIKE-FRAME-SET-59CM-RITCHEY-CARBON-FORK-/281689286141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4195fd65fd

But why your weight and profile I would go for a 44 mm head tube ( tapered with external headset ) and so tapered fork

If you can find a litespeed t3 , they are great bangs for the bucks

or custom in usa / china / elsewhere

DJT21

by DJT21

Steel or Alu would be more suitable than Ti if you want a metal frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

DJT21 wrote:Steel or Alu would be more suitable than Ti if you want a metal frame.

Why? I'd say the opposite. Still too heavy and for me aluminium is horrible and harsh. I love Ti and have had 3 Ti bikes so far and have loved them all. Best of both worlds and no metal fatigue or rust or oxidation to worry about
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra