Campagnolo Neutron Ultra anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

hi guys.. i'm currently running 38mm V-shape Farsport on my Scott Addict R1. a climbing friend of mine suggested me to get a lower profile wheelset for climbs and suggested i look at Campagnolo Neutron Ultra.

weight wise will be heavier then my FS right now, but at 18mm low profile, seems like a pretty good climbing wheel and also for all-around.

anyone here ride with these? if so, how do you like them.. are they flexy on climbs or just as most reviews says... it's firm and pick up quick to go?

i'm 150lbs.. in case if anyone is wondering.. :lol:

thanks~

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I have 2 sets - one the older version, and also the Ultra.

Campy makes excellent quality wheels. Great hub design, extremely comfortable and durable wheel overall.

The rear rim uses offset spoke holes to improve wheel stiffness.

No negatives at all.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Hillsaretheenemy

by Hillsaretheenemy

Just wondering why you think a heavier wheelset will improve your climbing?

addictR1

by addictR1

Hillsaretheenemy wrote:Just wondering why you think a heavier wheelset will improve your climbing?

not so much as heavier wheel, but rather lower profile. people often told me low profile wheels are better for climbing.. but in my mind.. i would think lighter wheels should be better for climbing even though the profile is higher.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

addictR1 wrote:
Hillsaretheenemy wrote:Just wondering why you think a heavier wheelset will improve your climbing?

not so much as heavier wheel, but rather lower profile. people often told me low profile wheels are better for climbing.. but in my mind.. i would think lighter wheels should be better for climbing even though the profile is higher.

Lower profile are probably going to be less susceptible to instability in crosswinds, and provide a more comfortable ride. Neutrons are an excellent wheel, but perhaps no quicker than what you have now.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just got back from a 3 day trip in the mountains. A pass a day. Normally I ride tubulars but i took my only set of clinchers (Campy Neutrons). Came off the last pass earlier today and it was very windy. So glad I had the low profile Neutrons and was thinking about how sketchy a deeper profile light carbon rim might be in those conditions. I weigh 200lbs and the wheels are great. As was mentioned, the rear spokes of offset in the rim and on the rear you may want to check clearance with your frame first. I have a Trek Emonda with the Integrated speed cadence sensor and the neutrons are the only wheel that won't fit in that frame (with the sensor installed).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Timujin

by Timujin

I have a pair too.

I love them. On 25c tyres they are my training wheelset, total bomb proof, im slightly heavier than i should be this time of year but hey I have had a lot BBQ's this year.

They roll beautifully, my rear hub is silent when you freewheel...

My only issue, putting GP4000s on this rim are a headache.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I used to have them.
Was riding them with latex tubes and Michelin Pro4 Service Course 25mm tires.

Not the best wheelset on market. Does everything okay and totally bombproof.
Drawbacks; not light, not aerodynamic, not comfortable...

So I sold them and bought 23mm wide, 24mm Chinese tubulars. Built them with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and Novatec A291SL / F582SL hubs. Glued Vittoria Corsa SC 25mm tubulars.
Wheelset is 500 grams lighter than the Neutrons. Matched great with 25mm tubulars, rolling great on really windy situations. Stiffness is the same.

I had really high expectations about the wheelset after I read comments on the forums so maybe thats why my disappointment was big...

ross

by ross

Comparing clinchers to tubulars and found tubulars better, well duh

addictR1

by addictR1

Interesting... A good mix of reviews. I do find my 38mm to have some issue with crosswind other than that no problem. Guess maybe better to just stick to my current set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timujin

by Timujin

ross wrote:Comparing clinchers to tubulars and found tubulars better, well duh

Hahahahahahaa I love the yes I had them but now I have these...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

I bought a set of Neutron Ultras this spring because the roads in my new locale are poor. I think they are great. The hubs are wonderful, easy to maintain and service, and the rims seem incredibly solid. The real treat is their stiffness, and sprinting on them gives me a new barometer by which to judge other rims.

For reference, I'm between 64-65kg, and I've been running them with 25mm tires, usually in the neighborhood of 70psi front/85psi rear. The ride isn't bad at all. They are not in the same league as my HED Belgium tubbies, but then again, I can't imagine anything being as good as those. What they lack in ride feel, however, they make up for with their snappiness.

Just a good, solid, all-around training wheel that I'd imagine will last a long time.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

He wants a climbing wheel, so why not mention the better option for the same price ;)

I don't know why you guys thought that I compared both wheelset. On my post I had a list of reasons that why Neuton is not a GREAT wheelset, as some people mention, and a recommendation of a climbing wheelset.

Enjoy your rides with your Neutron's, but I won't be riding them again because of the reasons I mentioned above.

LionelB

by LionelB

Neutron are an OK climbing wheelset but the rim is heavy. Hyperons are the ideal ticket for a low profile climbing wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Hyperons... Mmmmm.

I can dream!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny