Recommend a tubular for TT

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GavinR

by GavinR

I currently use Vittoria Corsa CX, but I know they are not the fastest tub for race day. I was looking at the Crono or the Conti Podium TT.

Just wondered if anyone has experience of these tubs or can recommend a good race day alternative.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The CX test fast very often (though there seem to be outliers when tested by a german mag). Certainly faster than the Podium. See here, although it's about older versions of the tyre viewtopic.php?f=3&t=114537 .
Facing the same question at the moment, running 22mm SCs, pondering to glue up 25mm SC or CX for a TT, at least for the rear.

Edit: here's another thread with some info viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116471

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Podiums never seemed quick for me but they are fairly bullet proof.
Gone through a few corsa cx's fairly quickly, but now on Schwalbe TT's. Not had long enough to give a proper evaluation though.

Not sure if you're planning on using a disc wheel, but you might encounter problems with the new corsa valves.
Official cafe stop tester

Zoro

by Zoro

Veloflex Record
Vittoria Crono - 19mm @ 145psi (ish) or 24mm@20 psi less
See : viewtopic.php?f=113&t=127181&p=1086740#p1086740

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

How about a tyre that is not likely to puncture. Nothing ruins a TT like a puncture and nothing makes you slower either. I'd stick with the corsa's.

davidalone

by davidalone

the latest science shows that you should match the tyre width closely with your rim width.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

well that has always been true and is rather obvious how it has taken so long for everyone to realise including me I don't know. given most tubular rims are 20 or 21mm width it does mean narrow tubs like people had back in the 80's and 90's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

bm0p700f wrote:How about a tyre that is not likely to puncture. Nothing ruins a TT like a puncture and nothing makes you slower either. I'd stick with the corsa's.

Other than in a stage race, we go on the edge. A flat, ends the TT. But the TT is for you, or if its a race for position, its hard to remember who got 2nd.