Best Long Distance Uber-Commuter Aero Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fly

by fly

I'm a dedicated bicycle commuter and racer. I'm a sprinter who has won category 3 races and I'll be competing in Masters 45+ elite next season. To help prepare for that I'm going to be doing about 200 commuting miles a week starting in September. This is almost all on a smooth bicycle trail. I'm not a fair weather rider and ride in subfreezing cold and occasional rain. I've done what approaches this level of daily grind commuting before and I'm looking for some aerodynamic wheels to make the trip a bit easier, faster, and more fun. Both my wheelsets just crapped out on me anyway. My route home has a steady grade that climbs out of a river valley and once you get out of that you get a 5-10 mph headwind almost every day. I'm 195 pounds/ 90 Kilos. I might drop five pounds but not much more, just a big strong rider.

I was thinking of Hed Jet Plus wheels. Probably 9s as crosswinds don't bother me. I'm on a new model Cervelo S3. My reasoning is that I'm mostly riding a steady pace so weight of the wheels isn't a big consideration, the route is only crosswind for a few minutes going over a bridge. They seem durable. Stiff enough but not uncomfortable. The wide rim bed should yield comfort and aerodynamics. They look the business.

I'm thinking of getting some carbon clinchers in the spring to race on.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Ever thought about considering November's Rail series? Though the deepest they have are 52mm. I know that you mention crosswind does not bother you, but their 34mm rims are literally invisible to crosswind and surprisingly stiffer than their 52's. Maybe the 34's are something you can consider as a race wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Do people on this board legitimately think that commuting on $1000 carbon wheelsets is reasonable? Or is it just like bragging rights about how big into cycling you are?
By all means, ride what you like, it's your choice, I'm just trying to understand a mindset that baffles me.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

kulivontot wrote:Do people on this board legitimately think that commuting on $1000 carbon wheelsets is reasonable?

You asked. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124355

Edit: personally I don't think there's anything wrong with a little indulgence.
Last edited by HillRPete on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

I recently built an 7,9kg carbon framed Ultegra 11 CX bike for daily commuting.

Reasoning: I want the bike I spend the most time on to be good. Why ride a crap bike every day?

rmerka

by rmerka

Staying on topic, check out Flo wheels. They're supposed to be reasonably priced, aero and have alloy tracks for the foul weather days.

thechemist

by thechemist

kulivontot wrote:Do people on this board legitimately think that commuting on $1000 carbon wheelsets is reasonable? Or is it just like bragging rights about how big into cycling you are?
By all means, ride what you like, it's your choice, I'm just trying to understand a mindset that baffles me.

Carbon has been proven to be much more durable than aluminum. Just take a look at recent Paris Roubaix. Now if you experience a ton of rain than I can see sticking with aluminium but carbon wheels to commute on makes a lot of sense to me

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

thechemist wrote:
kulivontot wrote:Do people on this board legitimately think that commuting on $1000 carbon wheelsets is reasonable? Or is it just like bragging rights about how big into cycling you are?

Carbon has been proven to be much more durable than aluminum. Just take a look at recent Paris Roubaix. Now if you experience a ton of rain than I can see sticking with aluminium but carbon wheels to commute on makes a lot of sense to me

Carbonfiber is stronger, yes. But not durable. Especially the brake surface.

fly

by fly

I'm not sure who kulivontot is attempting to flame, since I wasn't suggesting using carbon rims for my commute. In my book carbon rims are for racing. As I said I'm a big fella, and I just don't think they'd hold up to the extent that I'd find that to be a good value.

I'm looking for an aerodynamic, durable aluminum rim/carbon fairing type of wheel. It is raining here today and I rode in without a second thought so a carbon rim really isn't something I'm considering due to the braking performance. The durability of a carbon rim long term may be just fine now, I really can't say. Certainly they're more expensive.

Wheels are probably the single most important part of a bicycle, and as Marin said, I want to enjoy my rides, and since I'm talking about spending 12-15 hours a week riding to work, efficiency is very important if my body is going to hold up. Given those factors, I'm not blinking very much at spending between $1,000 - $2,000 here. If I was riding the train to work every day I'd be spending $2500 a year plus parking, so I don't have an issue pouring some money into this scenario.

For those of you who commute on rough rigs, more power too you.

aaric

by aaric

Sounds like you're looking for some flo wheels. A bit heavier, but aluminum with carbon fairings (or the 30, which is all alu), and aero data to back up their claims.

fly

by fly

Thanks for the suggestions about November Rails and Flo. November Rail looks very nice, and I'd never heard of them. Flo looks like it fits my criteria but they're not currently available, and "my money is burning a hole in my pocket". I guess I need to really think hard about whether it is worth waiting for them to save some money over the HEDs. They are a bit heavier than the HEDs, but that's not a deal breaker.

rmerka

by rmerka

Zipp 60's aren't a bad choice either, a little more pricy than the Flo's.

martinko

by martinko

May Shimano WH-RS81-C50 be considerable? Not light, but cheaper than 9000 version.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

@Fly You should check out their blog posts if you haven't already. Their most recent ones are all about testing and they are very transparent with their results. Also a fun read too. By the way, Ergott here can build you a custom set with their carbon rims. My Rail 34 was actually built by Ergott.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

fly wrote:Thanks for the suggestions about November Rails and Flo. November Rail looks very nice, and I'd never heard of them. Flo looks like it fits my criteria but they're not currently available, and "my money is burning a hole in my pocket". I guess I need to really think hard about whether it is worth waiting for them to save some money over the HEDs. They are a bit heavier than the HEDs, but that's not a deal breaker.

If you want Flo's signup for the preorder. You'll probably have your wheels in a month.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com