Campagnolo Boras - tyre sizes they fit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Flint

by Flint

Just about to pull the plug on some boras. As these have a narrower rim than some of the newer wheels am I ok to use 25 tyres?

Thanks.

made thread title more descriptive

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

You're okay but that's not the best setup in the front. #drag. Put a 23 on the front and keep the 25's for the rear. [emoji41]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm running 25's on my Boras, both front and rear. Much prefer the added stability using a 25 up front vs a 23. However, if you're buying new and given that new Boras are just around the corner, I'd probably wait for the new ones which will be a little wider with a rim bed that will fit the 25's, or bigger, a bit better. And maybe even be a little more stable, don't know. The only thing about running 25's on the current Boras I find is that when my brakes are where I like them and the tires are inflated, it's a squeeze to get the tires out even with the calipers released (Campagnolo). But no big deal. I guess if you're getting a screamin deal on a set of current Boras then fine, as long as you know there's new ones coming soon. Nothing worse than buying something that you think is current only to find out a week later that a new model is already being released. Either way, I'm sure you'll like them.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Flint

by Flint

Thanks for the help.

I'm buying a used set as this is my first go at seeing how I get on with tubulars. This way I'm only going to be spending £550.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

At a set of used boras at that price sounds like a steal, I'll go for it and not think too much about the upcoming one. I'll go for 23 in front and 25 behind though for the aero benefit, since tubulars will give you a plush enough ride already.

LionelB

by LionelB

25 are not a problem on boras.

nestornnk

by nestornnk

550 for a set of Boras is a super price.
You will love tubular and i think 23front and 25 on the rear wheel will be more than ok...
Enjoy them

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

TwiggyTN wrote:You're okay but that's not the best setup in the front. #drag. Put a 23 on the front and keep the 25's for the rear. [emoji41]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I suspect this may not be true but it's an un-provable hypothesis wither way as it depends on how you are defining "aero".

Wider tyres are only *more aero* (whatever that actually means in the real world) as an interactive component with a suitably shaped rim, according to all of the data that I have reviewed.

The problem is that we don't have a standard definition for "more aero" or even "less aero" - we don't have parameters for the frame, wheels, legs or any other part of the rider-wheel system standardised, we don't have a standard set of yaw angles or air speeds and last we don't have standard cadence rate for our yet to be defined legs making a mess of that unknown airspeed and it's un-defined yaw angle. And for uncertainty factors in trying to produce an accurate, meaningful, quantitative measurement, that is just for starters ...

In a wind tunnel, in a non-revolving test factoring all of the above out, it'll still depend on the precise rim shape and I have never seen that data for a Campagnolo Bora in public-land - not that I have looked that hard because it would be real-world irrelevant anyway (with apologies to all the would-be aerodynamics weenies out there ...)
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Flint

by Flint

Thanks everyone for all your help. I'm picking the boras up in a few weeks.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Bora Ones or Ultras/Ultra Twos? Great price whatever.

Flint

by Flint

They're the Bora one's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com