New zonda plus veloflex corsa first week.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sychen

by sychen

New wheel time... Replaced a worn out pair of dpx rigida and conti gp4000.

Decided to lose some weight and get some nice wheels.

It was zonda vs fulcrum quattros... And just missed the sale on quattros went for zonda... So far love them.

So far the veloflex is mixed bag.
Love the ride... So much nicer than conti's but had a screw go through it minimal puncture belt. Image

Is there any tyres with similar feel but better puncture protection. I know if they are often contradictory requirements but still gone ask.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Qman

by Qman

I had the same thing happen to my Continental Sprinter tubulars and Zipp 404s. Screw went through the tire and the rim. The Sprinters are very tough tires, but I don't think there are any tires that could survive a screw like that.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Um, no tire would survive that. Just try to avoid the crap on the road as much as possible. Pretty easy solo, in a big group ride, not so much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sychen

by sychen

Ya didn't think it was the tyre at fault. The conti's have a very pointy carcass which might be more survivable for this type of screw. That same shape makes it ride bad though.

sychen

by sychen

Would you keep riding on this after such a large puncture?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Finding a tyre to survive that type of puncture?

Sure, maybe these

http://www.pedalonline.com/images/libra ... 1804-1.jpg

Otherwise, maybe a revisit on your expectations might be in order. And depending on the size of the hole it leaves (keeping in mind what you're expectations of a tyre are) I'd still be pretty reticent in riding it.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Sure - schwalbe marathon plus road tyres may survive. I rode the Durano plus for thousands of km with no punctures but they're soft/doughy riding compared to the Veloflexes.

Just put that one down to bad luck and move on.

Fwiw, vittoria corse open tubulars seem to provide far poorer puncture protection and don't ride anywhere near as well as veloflex tyres. :)

I

sychen

by sychen

Ya I guess it is bad luck.... First week on new gear. Killed some Racing Ralph's pretty good 6 months ago so mtb tires don't work either.... Lol

Not sure for this tire if I should keep riding it or toss it.

Qman

by Qman

That hole looks too big to just ride it as is. I suspect you'd get the tube bulging out the hole. Some people use a Park Tire Boot, although it is stated as being for emergency repairs only.

sychen

by sychen

Put a patch on the inside of the tyre casing. Seems to hold for now. Will rode tomorrow and test it out. Been a mtber for the last 15 years and only just got roadie recently. So the proportion of the damage is rather bigger than I'm used to. Want sure on road tyre construction whether the casing is compromised by this type of damage.

Thanks for the responses.

wrenegade

by wrenegade

I'm running pretty much the same setup (with 25mm Corsas) and haven't had any big issues with them for just about 3000km. A couple flats, but fewer than with my old Michelin Pro4s. Like what was said before, I'm not sure anything would have been able to survive a direct hit with a screw like that.

sawyer

by sawyer

I've had the same thing happen to me, and also had a nail go clean through a rim.

Commuting 25km in London everyday it is unavoidable
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sychen

by sychen

sawyer wrote:I've had the same thing happen to me, and also had a nail go clean through a rim.

Commuting 25km in London everyday it is unavoidable

Dude don't scare my new zondas like that...

Did survive my Sunday ride... Was super paranoid every twang made by the tyre. Even carried a spare tube and tyre for the ride.

The inside patch is holding by I can see the hole slightly wider after the ride . May have to bite the bullet and toss my week old tyre.

Qman

by Qman

A tube patch is too flexible to be used on a tire. When you inflate the tire the patch will stretch and the hole in the tire will get bigger and bigger....
A tire boot is fiber reinforced so that it has similar stiffness to the tire casing. Again, it's only for emergencies, but much better than using a tube patch.
At this point, I'd say you need a new tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Don't ride the tyre dude ... not worth it.

Every now and again riding through London (in the good times a building site ...) you will get a nail through a tyre / tyre & rim

Has happend to me twice in 15 years riding here

Not frequent enough to stop me riding carbon tubs to work tho :wink:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: