Enve 3.4 vs 6.7 real world differences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bman11

by bman11

I am pondering the purchase of a new set of Enve 6.7 clinchers. Being that I already have a set of 3.4's, that I LOVE, will I notice a huge difference with the 6.7's? I already know the drawbacks and proposed gains of a deeper wheel. I am merely looking for some real world experience/advice here. I ran a search and came up empty...
About me: I am an all a rounder that doesn't race any longer, but still puts in a ton of miles. I am 6ft/170 lbs and I ride a Colnago CX-1.
Thanks in advance everyone,
BC
Just dig in and climb it!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The only thing that you will notice is that the 6.7s are a bit more squirrely in crosswinds than the 3.4s. I think the 3.4s are a much more versatile rimset and if I were you I'd just stick with what you have.

bman11

by bman11

Thanks Roland! Funny that you were the first to respond...Being that you built the 3.4's for me. They really are amazing. Just got the bug for something new and there is a nice set of 6.7's for sale locally. I really appreciate your input

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Roland also built my 3.4's… I've rented 6.7's…. for me not worth getting. Maybe if I did a bunch of flats and tri's .. otherwise nope.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

bman11

by bman11

Thanks for the reply and advice, Spd. I knew that the 3.4's would be hard to top...

bman11

by bman11

Any/all comments and experiences are appreciated...

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Bman, we're currently in the process of putting together a fleet of demo wheels to ship all around the country for customers that want to try before they buy. If you're in the U.S. and want to find out for yourself what they're like drop me an email next week when I get back in the shop and I can arrange to get you a set for a week.

chops

by chops

Wish I was in America

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Why not consider some 8.9's? I've found them stable in all sorts of wind conditions while racing.

FWIW I am 6ft and 160lbs, also own 3.4's and I originally intended on buying 6.7's but I've not regretted my decision going deep, the 8.9's just light up above 40km/hr (25mph) :D

@chops - We've got a demo program here in N.Z.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I have both sets and have been riding them for a year or so now.

If you really want a deep set, I say, "go for it". the 6.7 are a lot of fun and really ride nicely.

Now, if you are in an area with a ton of wind, I would say you may prefer to use the 3.4 more often. But if you are in an "average area", for wind, then I'd get them.

Now if you could only have one set, then the 3.4 are the better option, but if you can get both, you won't regret it.

I'd rather have both of my Enve's than a new frame. :thumbup:
Last edited by carbon2329 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman11

by bman11

Madcow,
That sounds like an offer that I cannot pass up. Thanks for the cranium's up. You will be hearing from me next week for sure!

bman11

by bman11

Carbon,
It is pretty windy here. I was on Reynolds DV46's prior to my 3.4's. They were unnerving on gusty days, to say the least!

chops

by chops

dmoneysworks wrote:Why not consider some 8.9's? I've found them stable in all sorts of wind conditions while racing.

FWIW I am 6ft and 160lbs, also own 3.4's and I originally intended on buying 6.7's but I've not regretted my decision going deep, the 8.9's just light up above 40km/hr (25mph) :D

@chops - We've got a demo program here in N.Z.

Wish I was in N.Z. :lol:

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

dmoneysworks wrote:Why not consider some 8.9's? I've found them stable in all sorts of wind conditions while racing.

Did the UCI 65mm rim depth limit still come into force for 2014? Or has that been put on hold with the coming re-think of the tech regs?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

CarlosFerreiro wrote:

Did the UCI 65mm rim depth limit still come into force for 2014? Or has that been put on hold with the coming re-think of the tech regs?

Pssh who knows. The UCI is just a boat anchor on the chainstay of cycling. Sounds like they may be reanalyzing their approach though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com