Winter wheel question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dha

by dha

So am looking at winter wheels as I don't want to run my 202s in the bad weather.

My question is do I go aluminium tubular, tubless or back to clinchers?

The tubless versions are a concern as I don't think there are any "good" tubeless tyres that are designed for winter use. Therefore is it clinchers or do I run arenbergs over winter?

I ride in the UK on the lovely pot holed roads of surrey if that is of any bearing.

NealH

by NealH

Shimano DA C24 wheels are you friend - summer or winter - smooth or pot hole infested roads - flat or mountain terrain. They roll so nice and unaffected by weight or tire choice. Clinchers are the ones to get since changing a tire is a piece of cake - even in winter when your hands are cold. You don't even need tire tools - just your hands are sufficient.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NealH

by NealH

Shimano DA C24 wheels are you friend - summer or winter - smooth or pot hole infested roads - flat or mountain terrain. They roll so nice and unaffected by weight or tire choice. Clinchers are the ones to get since changing a tire is a piece of cake - even in winter when your hands are cold. You don't even need tire tools - just your hands are sufficient.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

^ Agree that the C24's are nice. Another good option is to go for wide rims and run 25-28mm tyres, thinking of the Pacenti sl23, HED etc. Clinchers are always funner in winter when tyres start acting like magnets to sharp things.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Have you looked at what Wheelsmith has to offer? Race24 or so? Would probably be my first choice. Or maybe just Archetype rims (Velocity A23, or any other 23mm rim you can get at a fair price) on Shimano 105 (or Ultegra, if you want 11 speed) hubs. You asked for winter wheels after all.

mattr

by mattr

What he said. ^^^^^

Handbuilt on hubs to match the bike/drivetrain.
Sensible rims, sensible lacing, sensible spokes. Then if you have an issue/need a new spoke/buckle the wheel/dent the rim/wear out the braking surface you can get parts anywhere in 24 hours, and shops across the country/europe/globe will be familiar with the construction.

C24s might be lovely, but when Mr Shimano goes from 20 to 21 spokes, or launches the new C24.1, parts availability will drop very quickly, in some cases a snapped spoke could write the wheel off.

If you are likely to service them, cup and cone will give you a longer hub life (several years with half an hours tlc once a year) if you want fit and forget/hose down and stick in the garage after every ride, get cartridge bearings and take them to the shop every two or three years for new bearings. (Hope for instance)

dha

by dha

One thing I have looked at is some Nemesis rims on hope hubs

aaric

by aaric

C24s have thin brake tracks - not the best for longevity.

Pacenti SL23 hand builts with a hub of choice would be nice - wider rim means more volume, and more comfort at lower pressures.

As for tubeless tires, I had good luck with Hutchinson Secteur 28mms for a bad weather/road tire.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

My preference would be some HED Belgium tubulars with a strong tubular tire and some OrangeSeal inside. Hub is your choice (I'm partial to DA or DT 240 personally) but a 28/28, 28/32, or 32/32 build depending on your size.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

dha

by dha

I'm 64kg and it's a sub 7kg bike. Roads can be rough and I will use them on cobbles if that makes a difference

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Winter wheels which need to be tough for cobbles I'd be looking at good hubs (Shimano or Hope etc) and a reasonably light rim with plenty of spokes and a 25mm tyre profile.

The Velocity A23 or the Ambrosio Nemisis would do very well. Shimano RS80's would also work pretty well (cheaper option than DA so you don't mind destroying them) but I always found the low spoke count led to brake rub and me not being all that happy with the wheels going through pot holes (which as you'll know have been so numerous that you can't miss them all in Surrey over the last couple of winters).

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Either buy something dirt cheap (RS10, R7 etc) and ride into the ground, or get some reasonable quality hubs and archetype rims (or similar), and replace the rims when they wear out.
Don't want anything with a highly polished finish or the salt will just eat it away unless you are meticulous with washing your bike immediately after every ride..
Official cafe stop tester

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

Aluminum clinchers for winter wheels always. You can find great deals on craigslist if you are patient. Picked up some fulcrum 3.5 that someone pulled off a new cervelo for $150.

highpowernut

by highpowernut

I agree with Jekyll,
Go cheep and use the crap out of them or build what you need from good components.

Might not be bullet proof but zipp 101s have a similar profile to the 202s and are alum clinchers. I've had good luck with mine.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You would not want to ride C24' in an english winter as you would wear the rims out. 3000 mile of wet weather riding has worn my DT Swiss RR415's out annoyed at that but nor surprised as last winter was filthy in the extreme. these are £50 rims not several £100's as for C24's.

So my veiw is some handbuilts with a a velocity A23 or archetype rim as the are not too expensive when they wear out which the will.