Aeolus 3 D3 Tubular?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

How do you like them? Spec's look good. Would appreciate any comments regarding this wheelset.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Picked up a set from someone who had them as CX pit wheels -- barely ridden.

I like them. Did ride a friends Aeolus 7 clinchers, and while those felt a little faster at speed, I can definitely tell that these accelerate faster. Probably would have gone with a 50mm profile if I was buying new, but couldn't pass up the deal I got.

Ticks all the boxes: light weight to spin up fast, I can hold speed much more easily than on my Nucleon tubs on both group and solo rides. Comfortable (25mm Vittoria Paves that I had here; will probably go to SCs or Veloflex Roubaixs for a tan sidewall). They roll well, probably a combination of smooth hubs and my mass:( Braking is fine dry (using Enve blue pads; didn't try the OEM corks), haven't really had them out in the wet. Rode the Tour de Steamboat on them (112m, 7,500 feet climbing, and descending in the Colorado Rockies) and I liked them.

Oh, and they look pretty sweet. Mine are a team version with white spokes:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Brianblunt

by Brianblunt

I've got a pair of Aeolus 5 Tubulars, imo best wheelset i've owned. I'm a bigger guy hovering around 190-200lbs, I've hit plenty of potholes, bumps, etc. Have about 4000+ miles on them, haven't had to true them once. Currently running continental gator skin sprinters on them. The aeolus 5's are great on flats, slice through the air with ease, they don't spin up as fast as the 3's, but once they get going you can hold a great pace on them. I ride with a few guys who have them as well, some of them converted from zipp 404/808's and have told me they prefer the aeolus over them as well. So yea, pretty brief review, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Thanks for your insight. I'm in need of a new set of wheels and have been looking into prospective candidates for some time now. The Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 Tubular meets with the spec's that I need, whereas the others, for one reason or another do not.

In some applications spin up is important, and because of the weight of the Aeolus 3 being similar to the Reynolds MV32, which I have, I expect similar performance in that regard. The benefit will be better stability and less drag at higher speed in windy conditions. While fairly light in weight the older MV32's sharp narrow profile is not a good wheel for high speed windy conditions, particularly when compared to the offerings on the current market.

I'm also considering adding an additional Aeolus 5 rear wheel for another type of application where spin up and swirling wind are not as prevalent. Under the right conditions I think a front Aeolus 3 and a rear Aeolus 5 would make a killer combination.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have the clinchers... well actually I stuck them on my wifes bike.... usually it's 3's front and back, but I do have a 7 rear for those occasions. Previous she had CLX40's but got pushed around on her Ruby quite a bit...but the D3's on the madone.... much less even though the difference is only 5.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

cajer

by cajer

Are you guys running something different from the stock cork pads? As I'm getting horrible braking on those.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

stock cork... it's not too bad for me. Dura Ace brakes.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

cajer

by cajer

I should have added in the wet.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I heard that Enve makes these rims for Bontrager. If that's true, these wheels are a good deal.
I would love a set of the D3 Tubulars with FMB 27's!!!!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Made my decision; Front 3 and a rear 5 Tubular. Would like to know if there's anything new for 2015 before I place an order though.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Got'em! A front 3 and rear 5 tubular wheelset are in route to me! Stoked!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Zipp makes Bontrager's Aeolus CC wheels, while the Tubulars are made in house, in Waterloo.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ins ... el-factory

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com