Trek Domane - mudguard compatibility?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

colster

by colster

Have been shopping for a new winter bike which I would like to be a) carbon, b) have discs, and c) accept full fenders (not just clip-on style e.g. SKS Raceblades).

Have seen a 2016 Trek Domane 4.5 disc at my LBS with a decent discount that seems to tick the boxes, but am slightly concerned about fitting fenders as despite Trek claiming the Domane to be mudguard friendly past experience reminds me fitting mudguards are never as straightforward as you might expect.

Any Domane owners out there with any experience/advice?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have some Trek fender experience. Not with the Domane, but with a similar Trek Cronus Road and a Boone Disc.

The Trek system for attaching fenders is unsurpassed. You have hidden mounts at the dropouts (disc fork may require a bracket to the caliper that comes with the bike), a threaded sleeve in the fork crown, IIRC on the disc model there is a removable bridge with a threaded nut for a mount point between the seat stays, and you have at least one and probably two threaded mount points behind the BB. With the disc model you may be able to run 28 mm tires on wide rims and still have room for fenders. 25 mm will be a sure thing.

IMO, if you are looking to attach fenders there is no better winter road bike than a Domane.

Be advised that the geometry is quite short and tall in the front end. You may need to size down and run a long stem if want an aggressive fit.

FWIW I went through the same though process and settled on a Boone as my winter trainer. A little better geometry for me and I think lighter as well. You have to go to the top Domane to get the full carbon fork which is standard on all Boones.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.