Tire sealant in latex tubes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AGW

by AGW

It goddamn better work because I just held my nose and bought a pair of Veloflex Masters :lol:

timjsharpe

by timjsharpe

As a tub newbie I decided to shove in some Caffelatex (now ammonia free I believe). Of course it adds weight but I decided it was worth it. As to the OP point it should work great on latex tubes.

The slowtwitch test is excellent (http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thin ... _4155.html or Google 'slowtwitch sealant test').

I took away this:

Ammonia free is better
They all work better on latex tubes
They all work pretty good on the kind of punctures I get (small)

I didn't go with Bontrager TLR or Orange Seal as the useful lifetime seemed short. Bontrager SealSafe wasn't tested so I didn't go with that either.

Flat Attack is meant to be good though; Caffelatex was available at my LBS hence I went with that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jackie

by jackie

have you try using the conti revo sealant.?

PSM

by PSM

jackie wrote:have you try using the conti revo sealant.?

It is useless. :(

It coagulates. I will change to Stan's soon. :thumbup:

jackie

by jackie

it does? i need to check mine ...i actually fill them up in my latex tubulars

superdx

by superdx

I'm fairly certain my Schwable One tubulars have a latex tube, since they lose pressure overnight, around 20 PSI each evening!

Twice now I've repaired a puncture + cut them simply by putting some Stan's NoTubes sealant now and then pumping back up. Once with just a hand pump to around 60PSI, and once with a CO2 canister to get around 100 PSI. Both times I was able to make it to a bike shop to pump back up to 130PSI and ride the rest of the way home. I'm still using the same tubulars. Stan's has saved me from having to replace the tubulars, whereas a inner tube would have to been replaced when I got home.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

why 130psi?

superdx

by superdx

Wanted to see if the sealant was actually holding, pushed the pressure as high as possible. Turns out it did! Normally I run 120PSI in the tubulars.

Zoro

by Zoro

kulivontot wrote:why 130psi?

Why not 130 psi?

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

As a fellow Arizona resident, I went with the Orange Seal, for my tubulars. Still waiting to get a puncture, to see if it works. I'm still carrying my spare tub, just in case. I read the slow twitch test, and I swear they used my "screw the sidewall mishap", on their test!! My LBS carries the Bontrager stuff, so if you have good luck with it, I'll try it next. Nobody up here in the valley carries Orange Seal, for some reason.

I had terrible with Caffelatex, and it wouldn't hold over 80 psi, in a Schwalbe tub. It also failed my own personal test, with the above mentioned screw. It wouldn't hold any air, in this case! This tire is a Veloflex Arenberg.

superdx

by superdx

I don't think any kind of sealant would have been able to fix a screw going through a tire like that!

Hopefully you had a spare tube with you. Or a taxi number handy, lol

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

In the Slow Twitch test, they actually used a similar mishap in their testing. I know for a fact that Caffelatex wouldn't seal it!!

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

UPDATE I took the above pictured tire, and put in ~1 oz. of Orange Seal, to see if it would hold air. No dice. Wouldn't even hold 2 bars of air. I will say, that the holes in that tire are pretty big, so I really didn't expect to get spectacular results.

I am still riding on my Orange Seal filled tubs, and am patiently waiting for my first puncture. Hopefully it won't be another big screw, and be something that the sealant actually stands a chance of sealing!!

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

This morning I had my first flat on latex inner tube. Just before going work, so I was late, again...

Anyways.
It went flat while I was pumping my tires up. When I changed the inner tube, I saw there is a big hole just next to the valve.
Where black material is meeting with the latex tube.

Do you guys have any recommendation? Can I patch it there, or the tube is dead?

mattr

by mattr

Probably dead. It's a bugger to patch across a join, especially with dissimilar materials. Quite a stressed area too.
Usually fails there if you've been waggling the stem, you are using a track pump aren't you?

Could also be caused by the tube being stretched as the tyre moves round the rim, you did use shit loss of talc didn't you? (Stops the tube sticking to the tyre)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com