Disc brake wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

DT Swiss 240 centrelock straight pull hubs are 356g/pair that to me is best disc brake hubs on the market. Durable and quite light, pricey but you get what you pay for.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Finished another disc wheelset. LB 27mm wide tubular rims laced to DT 240 hubs with Sapim Laser spokes. 1319g for the set.

Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Are those the light bicycle rims? I have them too but I used the cheaper Miche 966 hubs 28H and they came in at 1419. Best thing is I can fit MTB 29er tubs or wide road tubs. I will use them on my MTB but I might do another set for a forthcoming road bike.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Yes, the are the LightBike rims. I'm trying to decide if I build another set for the MTB but I'm thinking I may go tubeless on that build.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

mentok

by mentok

bm0p700f wrote:Are those the light bicycle rims? I have them too but I used the cheaper Miche 966 hubs 28H and they came in at 1419. Best thing is I can fit MTB 29er tubs or wide road tubs. I will use them on my MTB but I might do another set for a forthcoming road bike.

this was going to be my first question - what's the profile like for gluing a big 50-55mm tyre?

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

@mentok

I'm not sure if I completely understand your question but I'll give it a shot and you can tell me if I'm off. The rim is 27mm wide so it has a large glueing surface. I wouldn't put anything skinnier than the 27 FMB that I currently have on there.

The other issue you need to consider is how wide the base tape is on your tubular. Wider tubular rims can help create a wider contact point with the base tape and can help prevent a rim from rolling off. I don't see much of any difference in "shape" of the tire on wider tubulars like I see with wider clincher rims. You may feel a difference in cornering because of how the sidewall interacts with a wider rim behind it.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

29er tubs fitted like a dream mine are 51mm wide. The shape seems perfect for 27mm FMB or Pave's e.t.c. Wide tubular rims with wide road tubs should be a bit more aero is the width match, given I like wide tubulars I think this is the way I will go for a road disc brake build.