Disc brake wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

I am finishing up my X-Night disc build and also just finished my first disc wheelset. As road and cross disc continues to grow, would love to see everyone's disc wheel builds.

Here is my first one:
Velocity Major Toms laced to DT Swiss 240 CL with Sapim Lasers:
775g front and 880g for the rear

With FMB Paris Roubaix (plus glue), Shimano 140 discs, SRAM XG-1190 11-28 cassette and DT Swiss RWS skewers total is:
1266g front and 1553g rear

Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Done loads this set were for my wife.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
28H 38mm carbon tubular rims (no brake track), DT Swiss comp straight pull spokes, alloy nipples and DT Swiss 240 centrelock straight pull hubs weight 1383g with tubs or rotors. rotors are XTR 160mm and the tubs are conti GP4000. Cassette is ultegra 11 speed 11-25T total wheel weight is c. 2360g. Done loads more for customers but these are lightest I have done so far. Want a set for my disc brake build but I may use a set of carbon 27mm wide 24mm deep tubular rims for disc brake only or 24mm deep tubular rim (ENVE if I am feeling flush which is unlikely). I am getting a set of the 27mm wide tubular rims for my MTB and if I like them I will use a set for my disc brake road bike and fit wide Pave tubs. Aiming for a sub 7kg disc brake build. I think its doable at around 6 kg we'll see though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Not the best pic of the wheels sorry but you might get the idea.

Shimano CX75 11sp Hubs (great hubs for the price, they are 11sp and include good skewers which is important for hard braking on the front wheel)
Shimano SM-RT99 rotors - have the be the best available. The the mechanical shimano caliper its really, really good for cable.
Hed Belgium Plus rims - the extra width a good thing, the weight fair and they look great.
Sapim Laser spokes - tough and light.
Sapim Hex Head alloy nipples - allow for high tension build and don't break or rattle lose
Stan's tubeless tape
American Classic Tubeless valves - Red anodizing is awesome
Hutchinson Pirana Tubeless Clincher - 34mm wide and good on all conditions, I do a lot of adventure/gravel rides and these are fast and have great grip. Have had some flats but mainly when I do some extreme rocks etc.

ImageParis mt State park, on the cross bike it like getting shot out a cannon head first. by Glory Cycles, on Flickr
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

@bm0p700f Do you know what the rims weighed in at? I have a set of 28/32 hole 240 CL sitting here waiting for a build but trying to decide on rims. I also want to do a set of ENVEs but that will probably be next year.

@cwdzoot Nice build, what do they weigh in at? Did you happen to weigh the CX75 hubs by chance?
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The rims I got were 332g but the 38mm deep rims I am getting next time weigh 300g but I am think about using 24mm deep carbon tubulars next @250g each for a 1210g disc brake build with sapim race straight pulls or 1140g with Cx-ray straight pulls. All this for a 6kg disc brake road bike I am planning.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Where are you sourcing these if you don't mind sharing?
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

@cwdzoot Nice build, what do they weigh in at? Did you happen to weigh the CX75 hubs by chance?[/quote]

I did not take the time to weight them knowing they were going to be heavy. The whole bike was heavy.

Building a pair of Stan's Grail, i9 with the same spoke pattern for my Colnago. These will look nicer and be a little lighter. Will weigh them.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

CX75 hubs are 500g for the pair.

preludervtec

by preludervtec

bm0p700f wrote:The rims I got were 332g but the 38mm deep rims I am getting next time weigh 300g but I am think about using 24mm deep carbon tubulars next @250g each for a 1210g disc brake build with sapim race straight pulls or 1140g with Cx-ray straight pulls. All this for a 6kg disc brake road bike I am planning.

Where did you get the rims? i'm looking for a set to build up for cyclocross racing.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Built a new set with the i9 hubs and the new Stan's Grail rim. Sapim Force spokes rear and Laser front - Sweet so far.

Trying some Conti Cyclocross Speed clinchers, have them set up tubeless.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Are there any cheap light disc hubsets out there for road/CX? The bikehubstore mtb hubs are like double the weight and double the price

mentok

by mentok

kulivontot wrote:Are there any cheap light disc hubsets out there for road/CX? The bikehubstore mtb hubs are like double the weight and double the price

double the weight and price of what?

the cheapest and lightest options i've seen going are the rotz/chin haur hubsets on BHS (usd 140 @385g) and the circus monkey sets on ebay ($160 @357g). both are QR only and 135 rear spacing.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Double of non disc road hubs

mattr

by mattr

Not a surprise really, they have to transmit all the braking load through the hub shell.

Loads of torque.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hmai18

by hmai18

Weight on that i9/Grail combo?