Vittoria Diamante Pro Light + Vredestein Latex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Anyone riding this combo? Seems like a light setup, and I would like to know about the ride quality and durability.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

The Diamante Pro Light ride quality is great; almost on par with the Corsas. Durability is almost non-existent, just like the Corsas. You have to be very aware of your road conditions and avoid road debris as much as possible or just stick to roads you know have good pavement. You cannot ride like most people do with training/commuting tires - riding over everything. Longevity is also a not very good, I've gotten maybe 500 miles out of a rear tire (I usually wear out rears twice as fast). However during those miles they ride great and have incredible grip on dry roads (I've stuck to sunny rides with these tires, don't want to push my luck and puncture when it's cold and raining).

I have not ridden the Diamante/Vredestein combo, but I have used the tubes with Schwalbe Ultremos. The Vredesteins are light tubes at 50g, and add suppleness to any tire you use with them. they are lightly pre-talc-ed in the box, but I also like to add another fresh layer of talc to the tube which seems to help installation. Be aware however that they do not help much with puncture resistance once a tire is worn. I've gotten bad punctures riding on worn tires (Heard a violent hiss, then completely flat in a couple seconds). This is avoidable though if tires are replaced once the tread starts to square off (important especially with fast-wearing tires). I'd also like to point out though that I have not gotten a single flat using latex tubes while the tires I was using had a respectable amount of tread left (knock on wood).

As long as you are aware of the road conditions, and the conditions of your tire, you'll be able to enjoy the ride quality of a nice tire/tube setup. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thank. This is exactly the info I was looking for.

So for the tires, are you saying the roads need to be spotless for them to survive? I'm already very aware of the conditions when I ride with my Mavic tires, so I avoid a lot of debris, but sometimes I will ride over an occasional pebble or twig. Would they make it? Also, are they just not very puncture resistant, or will a simple pebble slice up the sidewalls rendering the tire useless?

What kind of talc do you use?

wojchiech

by wojchiech

They should be able to survive pebbles and twigs. Larger sharper gravel, glass, tree branches, and metal would probably puncture them quite easily. The plus side is that most avoidable road debris is usually larger and reflective (glass and metal) and thus easier to spot. I also always brush the tires with my hand/fingernail to clear anything stuck to the tire.

Any talc-based powder will work. I've used Gold-Bond and Clubman Pinaud with success, but generic talc will work. Finer grade powder tends to be easier to spread along the tube/tire. Stay away from starch-based powders (used in some cheaper baby powders) as they will break down and cake onto the tire/tube.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Excellent. I never go near any large gravel, glass or branches. I think I should be ok, and I'm going to order them this week. This setup will reduce the rolling weight by 60g, and reduce rolling resistance. Really looking forward to it. Thanks so much for the helpful advice.

Oh, what psi do you run them at?

BTW, I followed you on Strava and Instagram. Good stuff.