New Shamal Mille!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cwoolee

by cwoolee

I want to buy it!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RickDraper

by RickDraper

I hd the same issue with the brake pads supplied with the wheels from wiggle. Cpagnolo free hub but Shimano pads. They have sent me the correct ones out though.

Are people running the pads parallel to the rim or toeing them in a little as normal?

RC856

by RC856

I got a set of the Mille recently. Look great and I do think the braking is improved...that's from my previous Shamals with SwissStop pads.
Only slight squealing of brake pads.
Main issue I have is that I came back yesterday from only my second ride on them and I have patches of silver showing through on the brake track that I believe is supposed to stay black :(

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Which pads are you using, and was it wet?

RC856

by RC856

Using the supplied blue pads.
Yes, it was wet which I imagine did the damage.
I had read they were supposed to stay black but not a footnote attached saying only if it stays dry.
If I wanted them to stay black and knew that I would've checked it was going to be a dry day :)

nga

by nga

RC856 wrote:Using the supplied blue pads.
Yes, it was wet which I imagine did the damage.
I had read they were supposed to stay black but not a footnote attached saying only if it stays dry.
If I wanted them to stay black and knew that I would've checked it was going to be a dry day :)

Kind of impractical if the brake surface doesn't stay black unless ridden only on dry conditions. I was planning to have Shamal Milles as my "rainy day" / training wheelset. Maybe I should just buy regular Shamal Ultras or something else w/ aluminium coloured braking surface.

skidmark

by skidmark

RC856 wrote:I got a set of the Mille recently. Look great and I do think the braking is improved...that's from my previous Shamals with SwissStop pads.
Only slight squealing of brake pads.
Main issue I have is that I came back yesterday from only my second ride on them and I have patches of silver showing through on the brake track that I believe is supposed to stay black :(

Hi could you post some pictures of the worn brake track please?

I've just taken delivery of a set of Mille. If the brake track shows signs of wear after a ride in the rain I'll be a bit disappointed.

Did you register your wheels for warranty?

RC856

by RC856

Hi,
I would post a picture if I could/knew how!
No, I don't bother with the register as my warranty claim will be with the seller.

Wiggle got in touch yesterday and said they can confirm it's a common problem. I've to send them for inspection but looks like
they'll send a new set out.

HanSolPark

by HanSolPark

Nice wheels! but be careful about brake rim. it's easy to be damage.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

I am now 11 weeks into my Mille wheelset.
4380km done and 49476m accent (and decent for that matter) and the blue brake pads are now on the limit lines.
Not so good in my books.

No signs of the coating coming off just yet so that is all good.

Good all-round wheelset.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

Is anyone riding the Shamal mille, and have the same problem i have. My Shamal mille rear wheel is sqeeking like crazy when i just touch the rear brake verry gentle, the front wheel doesn't seem to have the same problems, front wheel is perfect. I am running the new FSA delta brakes with the original bleu pads that came with the wheels.

Delorre

by Delorre

SuperflyRick wrote:Is anyone riding the Shamal mille, and have the same problem i have. My Shamal mille rear wheel is sqeeking like crazy when i just touch the rear brake verry gentle, the front wheel doesn't seem to have the same problems, front wheel is perfect. I am running the new FSA delta brakes with the original bleu pads that came with the wheels.

I had the same 'issue' as you. Front silent, rear one very loud. Just aply some toe-in, and case closed :wink: It might have to do with brake calipers alose, being less stiff at the back. At least, that's my impression with the single pivot campa rear brakes being more flexy than the front one... No idea about the FSA brakes.

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

Gonna try it, big ride tommorow so we will see. Is the Black finish on the brake surface showing some scratches aswell?

Delorre

by Delorre

SuperflyRick wrote:Is the Black finish on the brake surface showing some scratches aswell?

Not yet in approx 3000 miles and only a few slightly wet rides, so, maybe not a good reference for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

Didnt't solve the sqeeuking when i use my rear brake. Got a mate of mine Who uses the same shamals and has exactly the same problem.