Corima Aero, DT Aerolite, Alchemy built by RAR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

It took a while, but I am back on a set of carbon tubulars after a long hiatus.
I went with a set up that I think strikes a solid balance for use in all terrain and conditions - as well as providing a robust platform for me, a larger rider at 88kg now.

Corima Aero tubular rims
DT Swiss Aerolite spokes
Alchemy Elf 20 hole / Alchemy ORC 28 hole (not the UL model) for Campagnolo

I want to thank Adrien at RAR for putting these together for me.
He was very patient in the discussion on these wheels and they came out beautiful.

I will post better pics when they are glued and on a bike, but for now the scale reads 1242 grams for the set.

Front

Rear

Now for tires, I have a dilema. I have a few sets of tires to chose from by only the Continentals are 23mm. The Veloflex sets i have are all 22mm and when stretching the Veloflex Carbons on the new wheels (no glue yet) the rim really does present a visible ridge on each side. The Corima text does state 23mm or wider for these rims. Anyone using Veloflex Carbon 22s on Corima Aero rims without problems?

Ultimately, I will have a 25mm tire in the back and 23 up front, but it is a bit of a shame to not use these well-aged tubulars I have in stock now (my weight paired with these tires aside). I suppose I could save the 22mm tires for the track...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Stoli

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

OK, I put the Continentals on there unglued and measured them at 100 psi. They come out at 23mm and seem to protect the rim's lip better. Unless anyone says otherwise, I'll go with those. Pity because the Veloflex tubbies are so nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

I used veloflex 22 on corima rims for a couple of years with no issue

upside

by upside

Yes, one nice set of wheels... love the look of the carbon on those.

ergott

by ergott

Nice set of wheels. I still have two sets of the those hubs for my own wheels.

Maybe not this time around, but definitely get some Veloflex Arenbergs aged up. Sounds like the perfect tire for this set.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Hi- nice wheels! Why not Corima hubs? Any reason? Are the rims the new 23mmish version that came out last year I think? I highly doubt the overhang is going to hurt, take a look at any HED or Zipp Firecreast.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

ultyguy, I had the Alchemy hubs already, and while I have great respect for the Corima hubs, they don't seem to come in a higher spoke count (28 rear) and the Alchemy has a design more suited for a larger rider like me. I have another set of Alchemy hubed wheels (again, not UL) and they are rock solid. Quite honestly, I am not certain if the rims are the wider version. For tubulars the rim width seems less of a factor. I will check that measurement though.

The Arenbergs are on my list, ergott.

Work is getting in the way of glueing these up! :evil:

(P.S. checked and confirm that yes, these are the 23mm version rims)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com