BDOP DIY build kit, good deal?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

notherwtweenie

by notherwtweenie

BobDopolina wrote:
notherwtweenie wrote:With the detail I thought it would be clear I shouldn't use steel wool to take the scratch out - you'd have to remove material as deep as the scratch to make it gone.

Do NOT sand out the scratch until it is gone. That would create a low spot on the brake track and generate pulsing.

As we suggested, you simply need to debur the scratch so it doesn't bite your brake pad each time around. Once that is done you will never feel the scratches again. And you will add more through normal wear and tear.

notherwtweenie wrote:Yeah on the anodizing over the scratch. Is this a smoking gun? Did the scratch come first THEN the anodizing?

Don't quit your day job.

I don't understand what animates you to antagonize your customers. :noidea:
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
Everything can be taken from you including your life...except your honor and integrity, that you must give away.

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

notherwtweenie wrote:
BobDopolina wrote:
notherwtweenie wrote:With the detail I thought it would be clear I shouldn't use steel wool to take the scratch out - you'd have to remove material as deep as the scratch to make it gone.

Do NOT sand out the scratch until it is gone. That would create a low spot on the brake track and generate pulsing.

As we suggested, you simply need to debur the scratch so it doesn't bite your brake pad each time around. Once that is done you will never feel the scratches again. And you will add more through normal wear and tear.

notherwtweenie wrote:Yeah on the anodizing over the scratch. Is this a smoking gun? Did the scratch come first THEN the anodizing?

Don't quit your day job.

I don't understand what animates you to antagonize your customers. :noidea:

You're not our customer nor will you ever be despite our best efforts.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Definitely looks like the scratch came before the anodizing/paint. If the scratch came after the black part is would be silver. What a stand up company! Blame the consumer for the companies own faults. :roll:

notherwtweenie

by notherwtweenie

bombertodd wrote:Definitely looks like the scratch came before the anodizing/paint. If the scratch came after the black part is would be silver. What a stand up company! Blame the consumer for the companies own faults. :roll:

When I read the email my jaw dropped.
Everything can be taken from you including your life...except your honor and integrity, that you must give away.

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

bombertodd wrote:Definitely looks like the scratch came before the anodizing/paint. If the scratch came after the black part is would be silver. What a stand up company! Blame the consumer for the companies own faults. :roll:

This is some funny stuff. You guys are awesome.

1. Raw rims are silver
2. Anno is just a coating over the raw rim. If you scratch through the coating you will be back into the bare metal (which is still silver-it didn't change).

So, to recap, if you scratch the rim first, then anno, the scratch will be black as the anno is very open minded and doesn't care if you are a rim or a scratch; It is going to stick to you.

If you anno a rim first and scratch the rim after, the scratch is silver (assuming your puny scratch has made it through the microns thick anno).

Please refer to the excellent photo previously posted.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

notherwtweenie

by notherwtweenie

BobDopolina wrote:

1. Raw rims are silver
2. Anno is just a coating over the raw rim. If you scratch through the coating you will be back into the bare metal (which is still silver-it didn't change).

So, to recap, if you scratch the rim first, then anno, the scratch will be black as the anno is very open minded and doesn't care if you are a rim or a scratch; It is going to stick to you.

If you anno a rim first and scratch the rim after, the scratch is silver (assuming your puny scratch has made it through the microns thick anno).

The photo does show black anodizing still in place over the scratch.

rmerka

by rmerka

For clarity I think they're talking about this part of the scratch that has clearly been anodized over.

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

notherwtweenie wrote:
BobDopolina wrote:

1. Raw rims are silver

The photo does show black anodizing still in place over the scratch.

I am at a loss for words. Really.

We offered a complete refund to you and even this you refused suggesting that we were merely tricking you into returning the goods and that we would never refund your money. Instead of accepting our offer, which was exactly what you had asked for, you chose to come back here and post these gems.

At this point I can only roll my eyes which is so fetching I wish you could see because I am very good at it. The rolls are slow and to my right and offer an nice blend of droll sarcasm and yet pathos at the same time. I have been told they are quite remarkable.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

rmerka wrote:For clarity I think they're talking about this part of the scratch that has clearly been anodized over.

No, it has not. It is either a shadow or the cut didn't penetrate through the anno along the entire scratch. If you look at the beginning of the scratch and then where it transitions into the brake track you will clearly see the silver alloy.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

rmerka

by rmerka

Hmmm, I don't think that's a shadow and it's definitely deeper than microns, your words... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyways, I'm not taking sides as I don't have a dog in the fight and for the record I would have taken the refund as the hub looks shoddy too and I most certainly wouldn't have made a public affair of it.

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

rmerka wrote:Hmmm, I don't think that's a shadow and it's definitely deeper than microns, your words... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Go back and look at the original photos posted. Look at the scratches in the normal photo and you can see that what we are really talking about are scratches the size of a human hair which is about 100 microns thick, an average.

I would have to confirm the exact process KinLin uses for their rims but most anno is between 25-125 micros thick so we are talking in the same scale as a human hair.

The uber macro photos posted make them look like a giant chasm and really takes them out of perspective.
Last edited by BobDopolina on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

notherwtweenie

by notherwtweenie

Don't you think you've changed your story a few too many times? :noidea: It makes my head hurt .

There's this (highlighted for clarity)...

BobDopolina wrote:

1. Raw rims are silver

Then you're shown a photo with an arrow pointing to black annodizing over the scratch and say...

BobDopolina wrote:

No, it has not. It is either a shadow or the cut didn't penetrate through the anno along the entire scratch. If you look at the beginning of the scratch and then where it transitions into the brake track you will clearly see the silver alloy.

Sheesh again, another window. Can you at least say that looking at that photo, with black anodizing over the scratch, there is some percent probability that the scratch occurred prior to anodizing? 80/20.... 50/50.... 10 percent?

The point is, shouldn't you give your customer the benefit of the doubt? Is it right to make unsubstantiated accusations?

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

notherwtweenie wrote:Sheesh again, another window. Can you at least say that looking at that photo, with black anodizing over the scratch, there is some percent probability that the scratch occurred prior to anodizing? 80/20.... 50/50.... 10 percent?

The point is, shouldn't you give your customer the benefit of the doubt? Is it right to make unsubstantiated accusations?

If that is what I saw I would simply say it. Knowing how anno works, how the rims are produced and looking at your photos I know what you are suggesting is not possible. I am 100% on that but this really isn't the point.

Regardless of the cause we were prepared to offer you a discount (partial refund) on the shipment just for the inconvenience you experienced and even suggested a simple, proven method to alleviate the problem entirely. We never had a chance to make the offer as things spiraled out of control very quickly after that.

We have tried to resolve this several times and been rebuked at every turn. Instead we find ourselves sniping at each other in a public forum and although I do quite enjoy it as it can be very entertaining I am pretty much done. Unless you can come up with some fresh material I don't think there is any more fun to be had here.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Put a sticker over it, :wink:
Official cafe stop tester

notherwtweenie

by notherwtweenie

jekyll man wrote:Put a sticker over it, :wink:

The weird thing is I told BDop I could live with the scratches (there are more) if the hubs were fixed.

After that I got an email saying I made the scratches. :unbelievable: Why they would want to antagonize a customer I do not know. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com