Lightweight care

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattyNor

by mattyNor

So I'm the new proud and slightly paranoid owner or a set of gen3 lightweight standards. As I bought them used and thus have no ability to warranty anything I'm really babying them.

I'm in the process of regluing them and got as far as scraping the old glue off and hit my problem. Seams as the og owner did a layer of glue, then tape, then glue, then finally the tire! I've gotten most of it off but I'm stuck with a very sticky layer at the bottom now. What I'd normally do is wet the surface with rubbing alcohol and let sit for a few hours. Is this safe to do with these wheels and are there any better options?

Also what would be involved to remove the decals since they seam to be under the clear coat? I've designed some replacements that match my frames font and colours that I'd love to use.

Cheers

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Sticky = good
I'd remove the bigger lumps of glue that are still there and then add a new layer of glue on top of the remainder to fit the new tubulars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

After which you find out the hard way the other guy used a different kind of glue that doesn't play nice with the glue you used.

Just use plenty of rags and white spirits and get all the old glue off.

sungod

by sungod

alcohol isn't that good for glue removal, it flashes off fast

petrol, white gas, white spirit etc. are all better

schwalbe glue remover is good, but availability varies

this stuff is also good, maybe best...

http://www.desolvit.co.uk/products/stai ... -spray/18/

...as with the schwalbe, it's a gel

equivalents should be available, look at the datasheet to see contents

Geoff

by Geoff

First, I would agree with the other posters that unless you can confirm with certainty the type of glue on the rim now, the best choice is to strip it bare. I would also agree with the comment that alcohol is not going to help you to do that. I would recommend a product like Goof-Off or any household solvent (paint thinner). Just use lots of fresh rags and it will come off. Once you have the rim free of old glue, then you can use your alcohol to clean the rim.

With respect to the durability of the LW wheelset, I know that the natural reaction is to 'baby' the wheels, but they are honestly very durable. Once you have rammed them hard into a few potholes, you'll get over your phobia!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Enjoy the wheels, I agree with Geoff, ride them like any other wheelset (maybe not in the wet so much). I have meilenstein clinchers *gasp clinchers* and they are very strong. I have ridden about 7,500 k's on them with a fair bit of climbing (I did 190 vertical K in under 11,000 horizontal last year). I have done a fair few steep technical descents without issue (but will say I was conscious about the clincher delamination possibility so was mindful not to drag the brakes the whole descent.) I have hit a fair few big potholes that have made the frame shudder but the wheels have been fine. I would also say get the black prince pads - they are cheaper and easier to find then the lightweight branded pads and have better performance.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I've been using Reynolds pads since that's what I had lying around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com