Entry level wheel-off

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

adb44281

by adb44281

I know nothing about wheelsets, so I'll keep this short and simple and let you guys chime in. Which option do you like:

An Alex R500 rim with a Felt hub

or

a Bontrager Select?

I just picked up a 2012 Felt Z100 and have found the get-up-and-go a little lacking—you know, for getting off the line and staying clear of 4-wheelers and the like. In improving acceleration, I know wheels will make a big difference, and I have access to the Bontragers if I want them (FREE). My brother just has 'em lying around since he upgraded his '07 LeMond Versailles.

Is it worth putting on the Selects?

rijndael

by rijndael

adb44281 wrote:I know wheels will make a big difference

Your expectations sound a bit too high.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motormouth

by motormouth

It would help to know what wheels you are coming from.

Those Alex rims were so flexy for me, and heavy, I would stay clear.

The Bontragers had zero positive reviews: "Most of the weight is in the rims making for sluggish acceleration. The bearings felt slightly rough when new, and haven't got smoother." Also it sounds like they are not cartridge bearings, so I would stay very far away from them (just my preference). They are also old it sounds like.

Without knowing what wheels you are coming from, it's hard to say that either would be better, but regardless I doubt it.

For a cheap entry level wheelset in this range, I always recommend the Fulcrum Racing 7s - about the same weight but I rode a set bulletproof for 6 years without ever needing to true them, they were stiff out of the saddle and they rolled super fast.

http://www.wiggle.com/fulcrum-racing-7- ... -wheelset/

adb44281

by adb44281

Motor, the bike currently has the Alex rims. It's a Felt Z100.

motormouth

by motormouth

Hmm, well it doesn't sound like it will be much of an upgrade, if at all. I would pass. The 'performance benefit' you mentioned getting from wheels predicates one of a limited number of factors improving from your current wheelset:

- lighter weight (this could even be a wheelset with the same compound weight but where the rims themselves are lighter)
- more aerodynamic rim shape
- stiffness (for power transfer and handling feel)

Secondly, as the previous poster said -- I think your expectations of the benefits of lighter wheels is overestimated. It's a minimal improvement in acceleration, even for major improvements in the wheels. The gains you get are in climbing (weight) and at-speed (aero). You are barking up the wrong tree methinks. In acceleration I would say that your body mass (if you can lose weight) and strength (ride more if you can) have a larger impact on the get-up-and-go of your bike, you are the engine. And it is a generally free upgrade (since that sounds like a component of this exercise) with all sorts of added benefits.

Lastly, you will never beat the acceleration or speed of an auto at traffic lights unless you are jumping lights (maybe a lorry, granted). Trying to do so will only lead to pain ; )