Problems with Vittoria tubulars. End of a love affair!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgasmd

by dgasmd

So, for the past 7 years or so, I have been almost exclusively using Vittoria Corsa CX tubulars. At first, I tried Continental Competition. While they outlasted in mileage, were cheaper, and had far better puncture resistance hen compared to Vittoria, they felt like riding on a 2x4 when pumped to 120 PSI. I briefly tried Veloflex, which I simply loved to no end due to their supple and plush ride. Most times I had to look down to the tire to make sure it was inflated because it felt so supple. However, they lasted even less than the Vittoria in the mileage department, were the most expensive of all 3, and in my personal experience had far lower puncture resistance than the other 2. I kept using the Vittoria, and I kept loving it. Until the last year, that is :evil: :noidea: :evil:

In the past 1-1.5 years, I have had the worse results. Worse than all the previous years combined. Tons of flats (used to get 1-2 per 8000 miles on the same roads), tires that would simply get ruined with a flat by tearing at the puncture site, etc. Of the 3, they remain to be the cheapest now as Continental have gone up in price, but the number of flats and associated repairs along with the ruined multiple tires had me about to hang myself! This has come to an end.

I am ordering some Continental Competitions next time around and will be switching all my wheel sets to them as the need arises. I will just have to play more with the pressure in the tires to get a better feel I guess.

Anyone has any suggestions or revelations as far as brands or models to try next?

Has anyone had these quality issues with Vittorias lately? It is beyond just simply "bad luck" :smartass:

ITTY

by ITTY

I have also had a bad patch of luck with Vittorias, about two years ago. I must have gone through 3 different tires in a single season that had a slashed sidewall, wouldn't hold air, or was otherwise ruined. After trying a pair of continentals (had similar crappy ride), I went back to Vittorias (CX's mostly, now on the SC's), and have had good luck since that one period of sketchiness. :noidea:

I suppose it should be stated that I only use tubulars for racing, so they only see about 2500 miles a year. I don't really have any suggestions as I am still happily racing on Vittorias.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

120psi is quite high. I would try the 25mm competition at 90-100 psi and ride will be much improved. As with all things random (like punctures) you can get a run of flipping heads every times (heads being the puncture).

You can flip a coin and get 20 heads in a row but you had to flip it 1000 times previously to get that run. This is the situation you have, if you keep using the vittoria's the puncture rate could settle by itself without changing anything or it may not. It is lie trying to guess the future, you can't. For me it is Vittoria Pave or Conti tubs.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Yea, the PSI seems really high. I typically run my Vittoria CX or SC tubs about 90-100 and as low as 80-85 if I'll be on rough roads. I've had good results over the past two years with Vittoria. I do run a little Orange Seal in them but I also take them on all kinds of roads, good and bad.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

theremery

by theremery

I had a couple that were really crappily stitched around the valve so that there was no way to install them without a serious "lump". It stopped me using vittorias on everything but the lightbike where I still run Crono evos but I've otherwise gone to the veloflex as I usually run clinchers for training (veloflex clinchers are cheap as chips) and tubs on the top wheels for racing.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

ico

by ico

Hi,
try Vittoria SR. It's a 24mm wide and it is easilly the best from Vittoria I tried until now. It feels pretty fast, stable and supple enough. Previously had CX too and agree with what you said. This "SR" is far more durable for real life riding. Have it on the rear now with Conti Competition on the front. Vittoria is pumped on 120 psi a Competition must be on 90 psi max, to be ridable. Waiting till it's get worn and will change it to SR too.

sawyer

by sawyer

Agree with suggestion to try SR ... I have just got some so doing the same

Further towards Contis there is the Schwalbe Ultremo HT ... like a Conti casing with a latex inner. IME
puncture resistance not as good as Contis but better than CXs
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I'm only riding contis for about 6 years and only had one flat rear in +-50.000 miles which I fixed with Stan's no tube and been still using the tire. I will change the rear tomorrow before I go in the mountains coming weekend. I'm riding competition 25mm or sprinter/gator 22mm on my HED Stinger wheels. Tire pressure around 95 to 100psi max. I'm very happy with my tire choice and a conti guy only!

lannes

by lannes

I guess your not using any form of sealant

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I do preload all tires with Stan sealant. I stopped trying to use PitStop about 2 years ago as my success rate sealing flats on the road with it was less than 20%.

Again, although this may be a string of bad luck incidents spanning well over a year+, it's hard to ignore the obvious: same roads, same wheels, same road conditions, same mileage/year, and 5-7X more flats and tires ruined all of the sudden.

I will look I tithe SR

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I stopped riding Vittoria due to poor QC/quality. The tires were getting progressively worse the past two years. I run Veloflex now. The ride is only as good as the bike, wheels etc...veloflex are no more comfortable than any other tubular around 100psi on my bike, even clinchers. That is due to riding a Scott foil frame, very tight strung wheels, stiff cockpit etc...

Anyway, I used to be exclusively a Vittoria Corsa also...but that ended awhile back. No regrets ever since. That is life, if you don't do a good enough job of customer service and the product quality slips, customers/competitors will find an alternative.

sawyer

by sawyer

Update on SRs ... rear one popped on commute home tonight ...

new PB for kilometreage on a tub - 44km ... just over £1 per km
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

you might have to run gator skin tubs.

Oswald

by Oswald

One word... clincher... :smartass:

Permon

by Permon

I had been using Vittoria CX evos for years and years......in 2012 I had exactly the same "flat tire" issues like You are experiencing. I got pissed off and was using another brand in 2013.....this year I decided to give a try to Vittoria again.......6700km and NO FLAT SO FAR. :beerchug:

I have no idea what the hell it was happening in 2012 (I had puncture like each 800km)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com