Collaborative Design; Rear Road Hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Kinlin XC-279 is centre drilled too. I would agree about pushing the NDS flange out a long way for triplet lacing. It is what I have done on my royce hubs and it works very well. The wheels are super stiff.

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

[quote="TheDarkInstallImage[/quote]

There are potential problems with both bearing bores.

The NDS bearing may develop lateral play due to flange placement and the shell behind the DS bearing is likely to fail due to a lack of supporting material in the hub shell.

If you really achieve 50mm LCF you will need custom drilling on the rim and the spoke hole angle of production rims will not be sufficient.

You may also have heel clearance issues.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Heel clearance? How is your heel going to reach the wheel before hitting the chainstay?

I do agree that a special drilling for the rim is recommended.

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

Out of the saddle.

When many people stand their heels will kick in as they bring their foot up and rock the bike.

The drilling isn't recommended, it will be required. Standard angles won't be able to handle it and the spokes will fail at the nipple.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I 2nd the special rim if you are doing ~50mm offset. And if a special rim is required, this is not a universal hub... and it would be best to build and sell the whole wheelset if you are set on triplet.

IMO triplet is different but not better than balanced spoking, anyway... actually I'd lean the other way.
formerly rruff...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

carbon rims are easily specially drilled although I do wonder if the usual chinese suppliers will know what you mean by triplet lacing when you ask. They might do though. I will have to ask them for those Royce hubs I have as I do wonder how long the NDS spokes will last before failure occurs at the nipple.

There is so much hub choice out there for standard drilling that having another will add very little trying do your is a nice project but the more I think about it the problems I can forsee.

All designs make comprimises there is o such thing a perfect hub well there is ones that don't chase ultra low weight.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Is there any way to bring the nds bearing out as far left as possible and then either a larger bearing or 2x6803s in rather than just a single?

Also, will there additional hub drillings available for those who need higher spoke counts (Min 28) or prefer hub drive to come from both sides of the hub?

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

Illuminate wrote:Is there any way to bring the nds bearing out as far left as possible and then either a larger bearing or 2x6803s in rather than just a single?

Also, will there additional hub drillings available for those who need higher spoke counts (Min 28) or prefer hub drive to come from both sides of the hub?

Why two bearings on the bearing with the lowest load?

DS spokes from the NDS of the hub? Do I understand that correctly? Purpose? Photos?
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

2 bearings on he nds- just chasing added durability through sharing the load across two bearings rather than 1.

Re hub drive comment, I should probably clarify that this is vs a 2x (or 3x) drive side, radial nds setup where drive is primarily applied by the ds tangentially laced spokes (with presumable little from the nds radial spokes).

mythical

by mythical

With Ergott as my witness, I designed the rear hub you guys are talking about back in 2011. In addition to mentioned specs, it's also around 100 grams. Just haven't had the disposable resources nor found the right machine shop to get it prototyped.

I even ordered a 20H and 24H center-drilled SL23s specially for it that have been sitting in a box for ages. And Ron, I emailed you about it but you must not have gotten what I was talking about.

Nevertheless, best of luck to this collaboration. I could chime in but you guys are on the right way and can just as well do without me. :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

ergott

by ergott

Yeah, Rico has a great hub drafted up. It would be nice to see it fleshed out!

LittleBill

by LittleBill

What about this hub? I stumbled into it, and then into this thread when I was reading about triplet lacing.

https://www.velocite-bikes.com/images/V ... ram_24.pdf

Seems like it is a gross parallel to what is being sought.

ergott

by ergott

Is that hub available?