NOS rims laced to modern hubs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

albo

by albo

cheers for the great advice folks.
excuse my ignorance but I am also wondering how the strength if a spoke is measured; is it purely tensile strength? and is their any gauge of how much the spoke stretches under load?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

It can definitely be done, but as other posters have noted, why? If you want to build a modern version of an old-school wheelset, there are definitely modern versions of those rims. As an example, I have a few sets of 'pave' wheels built with Ambrosio Nemesis box-section rims laced with Sapim spokes to Record and Dura-Ace 32's. I think that would give you the type of wheelset you are looking for, but with a modern rim.

albo

by albo

for sure ... i have ditched the NOS idea and think I will go with Mavic reflex, for reasons of cost availability and moderate weight.
Now just deciding on lacing and leaning toward sapim race and or cx-ray ??? 2x vs 3x etc

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

albo wrote:excuse my ignorance but I am also wondering how the strength if a spoke is measured; is it purely tensile strength? and is their any gauge of how much the spoke stretches under load?

The only strength value you should be concerned with is fatigue strength. That will vary depending on a bunch of factors.

Stiffness is a separate issue. With metal spokes this will be ~proportional to weight. The degree of stretch is inversely proportional to weight, and proportional to load. IIRC, for a CX-Ray or Laser at 100kg it is around 1mm.
formerly rruff...

kgt

by kgt

@ albo
Mavic reflex is not the best choise IMO. These are lightweight rims but not that stiff of strong for heavy use. I would look elsewhere if I were you.

Geoff

by Geoff

I would recommend the Sapim CX-Rays over all other spokes. They are hella-tough. I had a crash that severed a C-40 headtube and broke (!) an Ambrosio Nemesis (right through the rim, both sides) rim. The Sapim spokes did not break or crack, but pulled-through the spoke hole eyelets in two places with the nipples still on. Lace 'em cross-three.

I would recommend the Ambrosio Nemesis over the Reflex (or the Montreal Durex rims, if you want to save a few grams). Reflex isn't a bad rim, but it isn't the Paris-Roubaix SSC, is it?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I have a pair of lightly used SSC Paris Roubaix rims if you're interested.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

In a crash the spokes will be the least likely things to break that is quite common.