Spada Hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alexjones

by alexjones

Hi, Thought I would give you a head up on Spada lightweight hubs!
I run VAM Performance and we supply the UK with Spada hubs and wheels but also ship abroad to the U.S, Canda etc
The Spada hubs are handmade in Italy and seriously light at 52g front and 182g rear and I also think very beautiful.
I thought I would let you guys know as there are a lot of keen weight weenie builders on here- I have a set built into some shallow carbon tubs that weight 970g! Pretty robust too- used then in CX last season!
Hopefully not breaking any forum wheels putting this up on here but they are a great alternative to Chris King etc for someone looking for something a little different but still uber light.

Retail in the U.S is $610

What do you guys think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

What are the flange spacings on the rear? And straight pull spokes = yuck IMO
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Light maybe but that normally comes at the expense of bearing life and other problems. I could be wrong but I doubt they would make good all weather hubs. CK hubs are not even comparable (I don't much like CK hubs as they are far too expensive here) as they have reliable bearings and freehubs. R45 hubs are not even in the same weight league which is a good thing in my book even though I don't even like them.

alexjones

by alexjones

Hi.

I understand what you are saying about the weight, bearing life is however very good and the all- weather nature of the hubs is not an issue- they get laced into a pair of aluminium tubulars and have been used extensively in CX for a number of seasons!

I personally have a pair of the 'Stiletto' wheels and have around 10,000 miles on them and are as they were when we first brought them over.

An improved design and attention to detail which has been refined over many years by Spada in Italy can result in an impressive weight and durability, but I do understand skepticism until they have been used more widely.