Asymmetrical wheel lacing - old stuff / new stuff

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zoro

by Zoro

Is this a better way to build a wheel?

Campy Bora as an example has 2X the spokes on the drive side. Some hubs are sold with twice the drillings on the drive side now. From the 70s http://derbyking.com/Detail/?n=29

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I saw a pic from 1896 of oval chainrings and folk in the late 19 centuary were playing around with full suspension designs. There is nothing new in the cycling world. 2:1 lacing has been around decades. I think Ford offered it on one of there early model of wheels.

Zoro

by Zoro

bm0p700f wrote:I saw a pic from 1896 of oval chainrings and folk in the late 19 centuary were playing around with full suspension designs. There is nothing new in the cycling world. 2:1 lacing has been around decades. I think Ford offered it on one of there early model of wheels.

But the critique is off a bit I think
"The drive side high flange assures the spokes already tight from wheel dish will be tighter" - except there are twice as many spokes on the drive side.

Just interesting when innovators innovate the critics are quick to make things up. I wonder if Campy introduced them if we'd hear the same arguments.

kavitator

by kavitator

too much spokes for carbon rims :)

if 24 spokes on rear is excellent in stiffness and after one year with no maintance on trueing you dont need special lacing.

if you have pulling spoke close to 90degrees compare to axle this is enough perfect torque/power transfer