Recommendations for some aero climbing wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

9x12man

by 9x12man

I am putting together another bike build that will be ridden mainly in the mountains, but with some flat areas. I am ideally looking for a tubular wheelset, but will consider clincher. I am not looking for an out and out climbing wheel, but something with some aero benefit too. Budget is around £1,000 and am happy with anything under 1,500g (not very WW, but it is realistic!). My research has thrown up the following possibilities:

Light and aero:

• Vision Metron 40
  • Zipp 202 (second hand)
  • Campagnolo Bora One 35

Other possibilities (less aero, still great in the mountains):

• Campagnolo Hyperon
  • Mavic Ksyrium SLR 125
  • Mavic R-SYS SLR
  • Pacenti SL23 + Chris King + CX-Ray
  • H Plus Son Archytype + Chris King + CX-Ray

Anyone have any feedback on the Visions as I cannot find much information on them? Anyone have any opinions on the choices? And lastly anyone want to suggest anything else in that budget / weight range?

Lastly in doing my research I would find it hard to go for the Hyperon since the introduction of the Bora 35. They are similar weights, but you get some aero benefit from the 35's. I reckon Campagnolo's Hyperon sales must have dipped since the introduction of the Bora 35. I might be missing something though!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

You're willing to look at the mavic r-sys and SLR wheels but you haven't considered the dura-ace c24s? The mavic wheels don't test very aero, the shimano wheels are much more aero The tubular version is 1100g... (Clincher is ~1400g IIRC)

If you're happy to run tubs than the cormia winium+ is a great lightweight, aero rim. It's a 24mm deep rim, but when tour tested it they put it into the "aero" section of the wheel test... It held its own against 50mm+ rims too!

BHS also has a super light 30mm deep carbon tubular, 300g rim, would also fit the bill...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

No help the OP, but wow, I never realised the Shimano 9000 C24 Tubulars were that light! They are about 700 quid over his budget though, so yeah...

For a "yeah, that is light enough..." and more importantly completely bomb-proof climbing tubular I would say the c24 is about as good as it currently gets.

Again, that is no help the OP, sorry; you could always go the Chinese route; ED / Bitex hub, with blank carbon rim from one of the shops that do this; Yeoleo / Far Sports, if you want to keep the price down, but get the specs you want...

Or save up another 700 quid and get the c24s and never need to think about your wheels ever ever again.

duckson

by duckson

Reynolds Assault SLG

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

9x12man

by 9x12man

I forgot to mention that the C24's were not considered because I am running Campag SR. Otherwise they would have been on the list!

duckson

by duckson

istigatrice

by istigatrice

If you're running 11 speed, the Shimano wheels are compatible, just use the shimano 11 speed cassette... I find this set up smoother than the original cassette (and you get better ratio choices)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

dgran

by dgran

9x12man wrote:And lastly anyone want to suggest anything else in that budget / weight range?
!

I would also consider Rolf Prima for their Vigor Alpha. The weight is good, the price is reasonable and it has an aluminum braking surface, which is pleasant to work with. They also look marvelous. My secondary pick would be Shimano C24 but they are a bit more costly.

sawyer

by sawyer

Have ridden / owned a few of those mentioned ... and expect the Bora 35s
would be hard to beat for the price.

Have a pair of normal Boras and with the lower profile and weight loss they should be
pretty good in the mountains. Decently stiff, one of the best carbon braking surfaces, and
great hubs.

202s are great and have wider rims in their favour though the rear play issue on Zipps
is a negative I'm afraid. Boras more fit and forget
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

istigatrice wrote:BHS also has a super light 30mm deep carbon tubular, 300g rim, would also fit the bill...

I was thinking of that one also. Gigantex, who is usually conservative with their premium rims (ie strong). It's 25mm wide at the brake tracks which should be pretty aero, but I wonder if it works well with 23mm tires?

With some CX-Rays and light hubs he should be comfortably under 1100g and under the price target.
formerly rruff...

Zoro

by Zoro

9x12man wrote:...looking for a tubular wheelset...

Budget is around £1,000 and am happy with anything under 1,500g (not very WW, but it is realistic!).
And lastly anyone want to suggest anything else in that budget / weight range?
I might be missing something though!
Your price and 1205g claimed Tubular http://mercurycycling.com/collections/m5/products/m5t

Won USA Professional RR this month and a bunch of other races. We use them (and although sponsored by them, bought our own set).

Zoro

by Zoro

WMW wrote:
istigatrice wrote:BHS also has a super light 30mm deep carbon tubular, 300g rim, would also fit the bill...

I was thinking of that one also. Gigantex, who is usually conservative with their premium rims (ie strong). It's 25mm wide at the brake tracks which should be pretty aero, but I wonder if it works well with 23mm tires?

With some CX-Rays and light hubs he should be comfortably under 1100g and under the price target.

25mm rims should have 25mm tyres on them.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Zoro wrote:25mm rims should have 25mm tyres on them.

Explain that to zipp/enve and other wider rim manufacturers...

Zoro

by Zoro

istigatrice wrote:
Zoro wrote:25mm rims should have 25mm tyres on them.

Explain that to zipp/enve and other wider rim manufacturers...
I think I may need to. I am not debating it may be more aero. I just think its a poor way to go, for handling, rim durability (although these are heavy).

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Denham'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK1221303320976X
Denham: Welcome to Zipp's live chat service.
Denham: Greetings. How may I assist you?
David: Hi Denham, What tire width do you recommend for the 404 tubulars? They are 25.5 wide rims
Denham: 23mm in front and 25mm in the rear for best aero and lowest rolling resistance
David: So the tire is narrower than the braking surface in front, correct?
Denham: correct
David: Thank you
Denham: U are most welcome

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com