Recommendations for some aero climbing wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

And also note that to get a 23mm wide *clincher* on one of those wide rims, you need to put a ~20mm tire on it.... which a lot of people do for TTs.
formerly rruff...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have some 30mm 300g tubular rims waiting for a customers build in the shop. I would use something similar for a light aero build. However weight vs aero is not even a contest go for the most aero you can within reason. 100-200g or so will make sod all difference on a climb if you think it will help it is wishfull thinking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

argus

by argus

I second the Reynolds Attack SLG, I own a pair and they're awesome!

superdx

by superdx

I wouldn't consider the Mavic R-SYS or Kysrium SLR as aero. They're light but the drag they produce is noticeable, more so if you have a set of aero wheels to compare. They look pretty damn great though, very few wheels come close to matching their visual aesthetic.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I would look into some roval clx40s. I bought a set off ebay for less than your budget. They weigh a true 1370 grams on my scales with rim tape, they are stiff and roll beautifully and brake well (and dead quiet) in the dry, in the wet, well - they are carbon. They have DT swiss hub internals and are a wide rim profile. Have only put 2500k onto them but I have no complaints and would wholeheartedly recommend them.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marin

by Marin

I ride 23mm wide and 50mm tall Farsports clinchers. I weighed them at 1330g. I had them made without spoke holes so they don't need rim tape. Cost is about 600-700 USD shipped. Could be an alternative?

sawyer

by sawyer

superdx wrote:I wouldn't consider the Mavic R-SYS or Kysrium SLR as aero. They're light but the drag they produce is noticeable, more so if you have a set of aero wheels to compare. They look pretty damn great though, very few wheels come close to matching their visual aesthetic.

Hi - I think you'll one day view things differently and re-read this post in years to come with horror :-)

The windmill spokes scream inefficiency and no amount of black brake track is going to compensate
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Hi,

I'm currently getting a custom stainless steel frame built by Saffron Frameworks(should be finished in a month or so) and am putting together the final build list. I'm decided on the rest of the build, Super Record groupset, a mix of custom painted finishing kit, but I'm a bit stuck on the wheels. As per the thread title I'm looking for some mid depth carbon tubs for this build and as a wheelset for a weenie build I will be doing within the next 12-18 months.

I'm around 90kgs and do quite a lot of climbing. So would like the wheels to be stiff and light. Aero isn't that important as I already have a set of 60mm wheels for racing, and a set of Record/Nemesis alloy tubs for when it's raining. Price wise I would like to keep it below £1500, and ideally the weight would be below 1250g. I have looked at the following:

Campagnolo Bora One 35

Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 - I know these are a little above my budget but I can get a good price on them which brings them down enough.

Hand builts? Was thinking something like Corima rims on Tune hubs from RAR but I'm unsure if these would be stiff enough?

Any other suggestions and advice are welcome, I have been struggling with this one for a while now and just seem to keep circling back to trying to justify the cost of some Lightweight Meilensteins to my other half but my brownie points definitely won't stretch that far!

Cheers,

Campbell.

sawyer

by sawyer

If I were you Campbell I'd wait for the new 24mm
wide 35mm deep Boras.

Or if you want stiffness you could buy my CCUs.

One underrated mid-depth wheel is the Zipp 202 ... 32mm, 1100g and nice riding.

Also rate the FFWD F4R on VFM basis - doesn't really give anything away to those above tbh

HillRPete

by HillRPete

campbellrae: the Wheelsmith Aero38 are on top of my wishlist for when my current tubs wear out. They seem to be assembled just around the corner from you starting at 700 quid, if you can get over the fact that the weight limit is 80kg. Which seems to be quite conservative, I'm pretty sure others use the same hubs with much higher limits.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thanks for the responses, also cheers to the mods for merging the threads, don't know how I missed the other one!

I have emailed Wheelsmith about the Aero 38's, but I'm pretty sure he will say no, when I have asked him previously about another build he was very insistent on the weight limit. I think I will drop RAR an email and see if they could do a build.

I also called the Campagnolo distributor in the UK about the new Bora's and they aren't expecting stock till January, I'm hoping to have the bike ready to ride by the end of next month.

sawyer

by sawyer

Campbell - be aware you get absolutely killed on re-sale for bespoke stuff (Wheelsmith, RAR etc)

Sure they make great hoops but for that reason among others it would not be my choice.

Next spring you'll wish you'd waited for the new Boras

shimmeD

by shimmeD

If I lived where you do, I'd have a set of alloy tubs (eg Kinlin wide, Hed) on economical hubs (eg BHS, Novatec) for day-to-day riding (the eg are light enough to be called climbing wheels too). And then buy the latest Bora for my rides to the cafes for which the 50mm will have more bling as well as performance.
Less is more.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thanks again for the replies. I'm not too bothered by the resale value, I tend to ride wheels until they die then replace them, so hopefully that won't be an issue. In terms of an every day wheelset, I already have a set of Ambrosio Nemesis rims on Campag Record hubs, so this is my good day wheelset, going on a bike that will only be ridden on good days.

I have spoken with Adrien @ RAR and he suggested a build which he says will be very stiff, and should also below 1200g. They might not be as 'bling' as the Bora's but I'm hopeful they will perform as well(slightly lighter but slightly less aero). Should be ordering them tonight or tomorrow morning once I hear from him again.