The most aero unaero rim? (XR-200 vs XR19W)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I can't ride tubs- I'm a junior...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Sorry, I did read that, but lost it along the way.

Back to your topic, if it was me I'd opt for the XR200, just for the weight alone it's worth it. 340s are lighter but 2x the price.

And then don't regret not trying out the wider rims.

I've ordered BHS $425 special for trying out wide tubeless. And I think this is the way you should go too.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

shimmeD wrote:.

And then don't regret not trying out the wider rims.

I've ordered BHS $425 special for trying out wide tubeless. And I think this is the way you should go too.

Already have the easton ea70 wheels, 17.5mm internal width so quite similar to the pacenti rims... Don't really understand the fuss of wider rims

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I think zipp started the wide rim craze due to aerodynamics of matching a deep rim to 23/25mm tire and everybody else in the industry freaked out and jumped on the bandwagon as if making a rim that's 27mm wide automatically made you captain aero. I think there's a thread somewhere discussing whether it matters for shallow rims or even tubulars for that matter.

Op, read the fairwheelbikes rim shootout, I think they compare all the kinlin offerings pretty thoroughly. I am inclined to believe that one is physically incapable of detecting a 30g change in rim weight but will definitely be able to tell difference of ride quality from a 4mm change in clincher internal width using the same tire.

Marin

by Marin

istigatrice wrote:Because Ive never had a sub 1400g wheel and I really want to try it.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=123894&start=0 -> 1420g with Bitex and A23s (wide!), you could crack 1400 with a different spoking setup.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

kulivontot wrote:I am inclined to believe that one is physically incapable of detecting a 30g change in rim weight but will definitely be able to tell difference of ride quality from a 4mm change in clincher internal width using the same tire.

The more vertical sidewalls should tend to make the wide rim ride rougher. The wide rim might feel a little better in corners, and the aero benefit is real (with 23+mm tires) if rim has a little depth and is rounded.
formerly rruff...

eric

by eric

WMW wrote:Lacing.. might be best to do 1x heads in on the DS and 2or 3x NDS if you *aren't* going to run 11spd.

1x heads in DS is probably not a good idea. I know I used to recommend this but BHS hubs (and probably others) can't handle it:

It did last for about 8000 miles but I expect longer from my wheels. DS was tensioned to 130 on a Park tensiometer.
The point for doing it was to increase DS bracing angle. If you run spokecalc to get spoke lengths you can also see the difference in bracing angle for heads in and heads out spokes.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Yikes! Thanks for the info.
formerly rruff...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Aero works at all speeds it is quite easy to prove with maths that the time savings actually increase the slower the rider for a given CDA reduction. That's the beauty of maths. See Aeroweenies site for more info about it.

I would still aruge that the sub 1400g wheelset will make no faster than the build I suggested Aero trumps weight at all speeds unless the weight difference is quote extreme. Maths is against you here and you can't win against that I'm afraid. also a wider rims does help aerodynamics and the better supported sidewalls improve will help improve lateral grip in corners. For that reason alone chose a 23mm wide rims. Pacenti SL23 Kinlin XC-279 H Plus Son archetype... the Pacenti's are reaosnably aero wide and with a bitex hub in 20F/24R or better still with a 18F (BHS have rims) if you can a hub will be in the 1400g range. So there you have all the marginal gains.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Data plz

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Just thought I'd update this:

I ended up purchasing neither of these rims, instead going for the Kinlin XC-279 rim as part of BDOP DIY kit. I upgraded the spokes to Pillar X-TRA 1422, resulting in a wheelset weight of 1563g.

Compared to the Easton EA70 I've lost ~100g and now have bladed spokes (vs straight gauge) with a slightly deeper profile. It seems like it's a double win - aero has improved and I've lost 100g.

I'm definetly still curious to try some sub 400g rims one day, I'll probably wait till I can ride tubulars and might get the gigantex 30mm SL rims - that way I can still keep some aero.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

http://www.bikehubstore.com/C472w-p/c472w.htm

Too heavy for you?
I am riding them on my wheelset (Factory built Token C28A) and they are great rims.
Rigid, really really comfortable and way more aero than the rims mentioned before.

edit: I just saw your last message. It seems you bought the rims I also mentioned.
Good choice. For sure you will be happy with them.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

No data needed look at the aeroweenies site at the article by Cerevlo. No point in repeating what is already published.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I think this is the article bm0p700f is talking about: http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/t ... iders.html

I really want to ride the road in the top picture!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com