Open Tubulars: Veloflex vs Vittoria vs Challenge

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvincere

by dvincere

I'm interested in the differences between Veloflex (master), Vittoria (open corsa cx), and Challenge (fotre/criterium) open tubulars.

Are any more puncture-prone or puncture-resistant than the others? Feel better? And comparing the Challenge offerings: is the Forte or Criterium better for general riding?

I'm a long-time user of GP4000s and I'm looking to broaden my horizons and maybe find something a bit higher quality without sacrificing too much puncture resistance.

Thanks!

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I found the Veloflex and Vittoria to ride a lot better (supple and less fatiguing) than the GP4000s. I noticed the puncture protection of the Veloflex was similar to the GP4000s and the Vittoria to be slightly weaker. The earlier Vittoria's were very weak in puncture protection but the new ones are a lot better. Data shows the Vittoria to have the lowest rolling resistance. I haven't ridden any Challenge tires so I cannot comment. My personal favorite is the Veloflex at the end of the day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

I've never ridden Challenge so can't comment on them.

I rode Vittorias for many years. Nice, supple ride. However, I found the rear susceptible to flats after about 1,000 km (i'm 6'2", 180-185 punds, old guy with no power) and eventually quit using them because I had so many problems with flats, not just when the rear was old, but especially then. Two flats on one ride was my signal that I'd ridden a rear too long. I used Vredestein for some time and found them much better for puncture resistance and OK in ride quality. I was prepared to make the trade even though I preferred the Vittoria feel.

I bought a pair of Veloflex Blacks a few years ago and liked them. I'm also using Master and Corsa. Frankly, I can't feel any significant difference among the three. All have ride quality pretty close to, or the same as, Vittorias and much better puncture resistance. I also thought they were a lot nicer than the GP4000s I had on one bike. Except in winter, when roads here are covered in junk and gravel, I'm using the Veloflex all the time and plan to stick with them.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

If you are concerned about puncture protection, I'd go for Veloflex... they seem slightly better. Don't think you will approach the GP4000 in that regard or longevity.

Gotta love that they are still hand made in Italy, and usually cheaper to boot.
formerly rruff...

mattr

by mattr

I've used the Corsa and the challenge. Tbh, not any great difference in ride feel. The challenge I got on close out for 20 quid each, that's the only reason I got them!
Had one flat in ~8000 km spread between 4 tyres (two on my bike, two on the missus)
The rears are now binned, but the fronts are now on another pair of wheels, and still in use.
The tread actually delaminated from the carcase of one of the rears, but tbh, the tyre was utterly knacked and fit for the bin anyway. (I've had similar failures on corsas too)

commfire

by commfire

Mattr,
Did you run them with Challenge latex tubes, I was about to pull the trigger on that combo. Mixed reviews on overall durability of the challenge stuff.

mattr

by mattr

No, gave up on latex years ago. Far too much faff and looking after needed.
Have an assortment of "ordinary" tubes, mostly conti supersonic iirc

kgt

by kgt

Any high tpi tire will ride better than a low tpi one (like Continental). I have ridden both Vittoria, Veloflex and Challenge. IME All feel similar while Veloflex is lighter while having a better puncture resistance. Ageing does help.

dvincere

by dvincere

Thanks guys, this is great information. I'm not too concerned about replacing the tire more often but the roads I frequent aren't always the best and sometimes when I'm training on my way to work or home I want to avoid being late for something because of excessive flats. And sure in a race, there is a wheel car or free lap but it's far easier if one doesn't need to use those options. Sounds like I'm putting an order in for Veloflex.

TimW

by TimW

I ride Vittoria Corsa CX, have done for about 4 years now. Two punctures in all that time. Flints which would have wrecked any tyre. I'm using latex tubes and these tyres ride with a lovely feel to the road, pretty much just like the tubs. I do wear wear out more than one pair over spring/summer/autumn though and if a tyre is too cut up I will also change it.

dvincere

by dvincere

All these tires perform appreciably in the wet, too?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com