All-Rounder handbuilt wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Horizons

by Horizons

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding handbuilt wheels.

I can't find factory wheels that both look good and suit my needs which is why decided to go custom.
They will be used for racing and training (they'll be my only wheels).
I'm having someone build them for me but before i place the order i want to make sure i make the right choice.

I've decided to go with Pacenti SL23 rims because of their width, weight and quality. Plus they're not as hard to acquire as HED's.
Although other suggestions are welcome.

As for hubs: i was thinking DT240's, but after a brief talk with a mechanic he said they were pretty rubbish if i wanted to go 20 or 24 radial up front. he wouldn't elaborate further into this so if anyone could explain this to me please do. (FFWD uses 240's in their F2A wheels which are 20/24 and radial laced up front which makes me question this even more)

For spokes the wheelbuilder recommended DT competition for the rear driveside, and DT revolution for the rest. I really like the look of semi bladed spokes and according to him CX-Ray's should be fine too.

For spoke count i was thinking either 20/28 or 24/28 with radial lacing up front (purely aesthetic) and either x2 or x3 in the back.

The mechanic i spoke with (heh) was saying 20 radial on a DT hub was really pushing and he was not in favour of radial to begin with.

I'm 6'2" and my weight is usually between 73-78kg (it changes a lot) with most of my weight in my legs.

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated!

-Robert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I would personally go with 24/28 Sapim CX Ray on DT 240 hubs and Pacenti rims......perfect all-rounder imho. I have 28/28 Kinlin XC279s on DT 350 hubs and Sapim Race spokes and I absolutely love them.....they are my go to wheels over any other.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Don't know where you are, but in the US White Industries hubs are very easy to come by and IMO they are better than DTs. Cheaper, Ti freehub, easier to replace bearings. Many colors now. A riding buddy just had the front flange break on his 240 hub... and it wasn't even radial. The alloy that WI uses is better for hubs.

For your weight and SL23s 20f and 24 or 28r should be fine. CX-Rays. I build a lot of that configuration these days.
formerly rruff...

bombertodd

by bombertodd

My recommendation:
Sl23 rim
cx-ray or lasers if you're trying to keep costs down
White Industries hubs
I'd go 28 spoke in the back because I like the stiffness.

Horizons

by Horizons

@WMW: Forgot to mention, i'm from the Netherlands.
The wheel builder sells WI so that wouldn't be a problem.
Every bike shop sells and services DT Swiss here as well though..

I would go WI but i don't really like the look of their hubs, the logo's look milled in which i don't really like. I'd rather spend some more money and get r45's if DT's are really that bad.

Would going 20/28 front radial on DT's really be that risky?

--

@btompkins0112: How long did you have those wheels for and how many times did you have to had the hubs serviced? We have a lot of rain here in the Netherlands so circumstances are probably different though.

Also, Nice bike!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have had the wheels for a year now and ridden them throughout the winter in rain, etc. I've never had them serviced and they roll smooth and silent as the day I got them. :thumbup:

vdrey

by vdrey

You could always go with shimano or campy hubs. They seem to hold up quite well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

aaric

by aaric

I just recently got a set of the Pacenti sl23's in 20/28. Cx-rays, novatec hubs. Ended up just shy of 1500g with brass nipples and 2 layers of stans tape (fwiw, great options/prices at hoopswheels.com stateside)

I'm very happy with them. 6'1" 70ish kg.

I went novatec because I've yet to wear out a hub - the rims wear out first - and bearings are pretty easily replaced...and with the onward march of technology, I've always found myself wanting new hubs when a wheelset is reaching end of life due to rims. Be it 10 speed, 11 speed, through axles, or a different groupset...

To me the DTs are overpriced for what they are, as are the Kings. Perhaps if I envisioned myself riding them into the ground for the next 10 years, and lacing multiple rims to them, I'd go that route. Or if I was in love with the looks. Or if I was using them for extended tours, where I couldn't just dial up a new bearing off the internet, and ride my other wheels for a week. But even then, I'd probably go with shimano for the loose ball design and pricing.

hmai18

by hmai18

Recently had my DT240s relaced to Pacenti SL23s. 28h 2x all around using Sapim Lasers and alloy nipples. Came to 1450g with the Pacenti rim tape and no skewers.

Orfitinho

by Orfitinho

Horizons wrote:I would go WI but i don't really like the look of their hubs, the logo's look milled in which i don't really like. I'd rather spend some more money and get r45's if DT's are really that bad.

Would going 20/28 front radial on DT's really be that risky?

No. DT's are neither bad nor is it risky to build such a wheel with them. DT's have a reputation of being rock solid and long lasting. As with every other model of hubs you can have bad luck, but chances are very high that you wil not. Millions of wheels build with DT-240 are running flawlessly.

Shimano hubs only come with high numbers of spoke counts. The excemption being DA, but these are expensive and hard to get.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 for the use of either Dura-Ace or Record hubs. You get a bit limited with drilling choices, but it is worth it for hubs you can adjust. I prefer Sapim, but the DTs are very good, too.

Horizons

by Horizons

I've just seen a pair of T11's and it changed my mind on the DT Swiss.

Although they're a tad heavier than most hubs, the ease of service, TI hub body and SS axle and the fact that they're cheaper than DT's makes them a great choice like WMW said. the milled logo looks A LOT better in real life, the whole made in murica thing is pretty neat too.

Now for lacing patterns, what would you recommend? I definitely want 28 in the back.

Ultegra and Campagnolo hubs were never an option, they simply aren't loud enough. :roll:

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

With 20f and 28r I'd choose 3x DS, and radial front. The NDS can be radial, 2x, or 3x... whatever you like. Minor tradeoffs any way you do it.

Yes, I was going to say that the WI hubs look *way* prettier than DTs to me... but tastes differ.
formerly rruff...

Horizons

by Horizons

One last question, what would the difference between 20f and 24f be? i'm mostly interested in stable cornering, 20f looks a lot cleaner but if 4 more spokes mean a better front wheel..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com