Alloy rim friendly brake pads?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

n808

by n808

It's easy to find information on how the different brake pads are more or less effective in which conditions, but not so easy to find which will wear the thin alloy surfaces on my carbon rims the least.. (Shimano C24 WH-7900).

My Planet X brakes came with blue SwissStops (Wet Performance). Upon re-visiting the SwissStop web page, I now see that their regular black pads are listed as Rim Friendly.. So I guess I found my answer, but wanted to check for other, perhaps even better options..?
Last edited by n808 on Sat May 24, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Their regular black pads work well for me on aluminium rims. They brake as well as Shimano but don't pick up shards of aluminium from KinLin rims like the Shimano ones. They wear faster than the Shimano however.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Kool Stop Salmon pads are nice and soft too. Anything that works in Kinlins is going to be soft. Aztec Road plus pads are pretty soft as well.

NealH

by NealH

I use Bontrager cork pads on my C24 wheels. Braking is utterly smooth and predictable. Never a sound from them. They wear quicker than the regular pads and I assume are easier on the rims. More expensive, but they are nice.

n808

by n808

I think I'll get a set of black SwissStops.. The eBay seller for my C24 wheels included a set of yellow SwissStops for carbon rims and I used them for a couple of rides, thinking they would be rim friendly. However, I found that they just glazed over with a black shiny layer of aluminum(?), and I am not sure that's good for the aluminum brake surface wear.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

eric

by eric

SwissStop yellows glaze over on carbon rims too.

liam7020

by liam7020

+1 for Kool Stop Salmon.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

n808

by n808

I already have a set of Kool Stop Salmon on my old Specialized with Mavic wheels. I'll just swap then, Kool Stop Salmon for the C24's and Blue SwissStops for the Mavics..

Sevenfold

by Sevenfold

Swiss Stop BXP for me. Best pads I have used, little wear on the rims & stopping is phenomenal. Not cheap though...

n808

by n808

I think I'll just stick with my Blue BXP's as well then. They brake really well, and the less braking and braking force one has to apply, one should think causes less wear. The difference between black and blue is probably very tiny and then I might as well choose the one I have that brakes better, and works well should I be get caught by rain.

Thanks, everyone!

PinaRene

by PinaRene

If you want to have real friendly brake pads, and you want them to work then try; BBB Techstop. They modulate fine - don't "eat" your rim surface and the last long enough.

Geoff

by Geoff

In my experience, it is pretty hard to beat the 'factory' pads...

vdrey

by vdrey

I usually ride carbon clinchers, but when I use aluminum wheels, I love the kool stop salmon.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

KoolStop salmon give the lowest rim wear if you ride a lot in the wet. I have done years of wet winter riding with a variety of brake pads and there is noticeable difference in the wear with the salmons. But for overall braking performance on alloy rims I think the SwissStop BXP blue pads are awesome, they are great in the dry and the wet but I think for everyday wet riding they might be a little more prone to debris and thus rim wear.

mhk1058

by mhk1058

Modulation and predictability is variable between pads and is going to depend on user preference but 'Rim Friendly' brake pads are always going to be a compromise. Less rim wear surely has to equal less friction. Most of the wear is probably due to the dust, grit and other rubbish flying around, especially in the wet.

Not sure why they gave you carbon specific pads for aluminium brake tracks?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com