Flo30 vs xxx lite wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Amd1

by Amd1

Well, I'm stuck. Building a light road bike for use in the maryland area and can't decide between the two.

Average rides are in the 80ft/mile elevation gain world and avg speeds are around 19mph. So on one hand, having some snappy wheels for the climbs would be great, on the other hand, 300g of weight I'd save with the xxx wheels may not be worth it over the aero advantage the 30s offer.

I only do long climbs a couple times a year so these would be seeing mostly 5min and less climb lengths. Both are virtually the same price and the xxx lites would be used.

Anyone care to give their opinion?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Go with the Flo.....aero will trump weight for your type riding.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

are

by are

What wheels are you coming from? That might make a difference re: noticing the weight.

I had some nice handbuilt wheels - niobium 27 w/ white industry hubs - that had plenty of miles on them before I destroyed them hitting a giant pothole. I don't remember the exact weight, but it was somewhere around 1,400g.

While deciding what to get next I used my backup wheels, some Mavic Aksiums, which I think weigh close to 2,000g.

I decided that instead of going for one pair of somewhat light, somewhat aero wheels, such as wheels built around the pacenti sl23, I'd go for the (possibly) more aero and less expensive Flo30s and then I'll get some "event" wheels at a later date.

I've been riding the FLO's for about 3 weeks and I love them. In that time I've ridden both Breathless Agony (12k ft climbing) and Heartbreak Hundred (8.5k ft climbing) - I didn't get the slightest sensation that the wheel weight was slowing me down. Maybe I was desensitized to the weight because I used the Aksiums for a bit, or maybe it just doesn't matter that much for most climbing. I do know the build quality seems nice and the ride quality has been great. The wider rim does seem to put the tire in better shape for cornering; I really enjoy the road feel.

mjduct

by mjduct

Look at Boyd's as well, their new rims are in the same neighborhood aero wise, but much lighter, best of both worlds...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I wouldn't consider the two in the same neighborhood aero wise, but the Boyd is lighter (claimed weight difference of 83g).

shimmeD

by shimmeD

There's also the Soul 3.0, which I haven't found aero data comparison (thanks bomber), but in terms of price and rim weight is close to the Flo. Rim weight of the Boyd is way lighter by approx 100g each (thanks mj) but at a price ~$100 more for the set.

And then there's November with their FSW23 rims at similar weight to the Boyd; for another $100 more you get WI hubs. If someone has aero comparison, pls chime in.
Less is more.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

If you want nice hubs, Flo just started selling the 30 rim only. You could pick up a pair and lace them to a nice set of hubs. Just another option....

Slagter

by Slagter

btompkins0112 wrote:
aero will trump weight for your type riding.

aero almost always trumps weight unless you only ride uphill.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

are wrote:What wheels are you coming from? That might make a difference re: noticing the weight.

I had some nice handbuilt wheels - niobium 27 w/ white industry hubs - that had plenty of miles on them before I destroyed them hitting a giant pothole. I don't remember the exact weight, but it was somewhere around 1,400g.

While deciding what to get next I used my backup wheels, some Mavic Aksiums, which I think weigh close to 2,000g.

I decided that instead of going for one pair of somewhat light, somewhat aero wheels, such as wheels built around the pacenti sl23, I'd go for the (possibly) more aero and less expensive Flo30s and then I'll get some "event" wheels at a later date.

I've been riding the FLO's for about 3 weeks and I love them. In that time I've ridden both Breathless Agony (12k ft climbing) and Heartbreak Hundred (8.5k ft climbing) - I didn't get the slightest sensation that the wheel weight was slowing me down. Maybe I was desensitized to the weight because I used the Aksiums for a bit, or maybe it just doesn't matter that much for most climbing. I do know the build quality seems nice and the ride quality has been great. The wider rim does seem to put the tire in better shape for cornering; I really enjoy the road feel.

How's the brake track? Still black? Chris from FLO told me that anodization will eventually wear off on the brake track.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

commendatore

by commendatore

The black brake tracks don't last. Mine are 100% bare aluminum after a few thousand miles. I'm sure that varies based on how hilly your local terrain is but it should be expected.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

bombertodd wrote:I wouldn't consider the two in the same neighborhood aero wise, but the Boyd is lighter (claimed weight difference of 83g).

I'm sure that the Flo 30 is marginally better than other deep(er) AL wheels but I just can't buy that it only has 6 watts of drag @ 15 degrees of yaw @ 30mph.

November Bicycles just posted a teaser on AL wind tunnel tests they recently performed. The Pacenti SL23 and Kinlin XC-279 tested around 10 watts better than the Velocity A23 at 30mph from their last wind tunnel session. It's interesting that the Enve 3.4 only saves you 9w peak at 30mph vs. these wheels (and only ~1w at low yaw angles.) I've always thought that deeper AL wheels would shrink the gap to 10w or less vs. the best <60mm carbon clinchers at 30mph. But the only time I hit 30mph is when I'm bombing down a hill or have a monster tailwind.

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... -aero.html

bombertodd

by bombertodd

If you look at the Sl23 and the XC-279 they look similar, but both look quite different than the Flo 30. The Flo 30 has a tapered brake track, taller and wider profile. You can read more here: http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2012/10/ ... y-flo.html

Some issues I could see that might help create such a big gap:
- Different spokes (flo uses CX-Ray, not sure about the others)
- number of spokes (flo used 20 in front, not sure what November used)
- tire selection (Conti might not be optimal for SL23 or Kinlin)
Last edited by bombertodd on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Detailed specs:

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Illuminate

by Illuminate

commendatore wrote:The black brake tracks don't last. Mine are 100% bare aluminum after a few thousand miles. I'm sure that varies based on how hilly your local terrain is but it should be expected.

Hi, have you been happy with them (aside from the brake track wear marks?)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

commendatore

by commendatore

Very much so. Once wearing off, it looks like any other rim. A bit less impressive looking than new, but nothing negative about it.