Flo30 vs xxx lite wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Theukr, have you been happy with your rims from Yishun? Ta

pushstart

by pushstart

One other caveat about Flo30 rims/wheels: it is very hard to mount tires on these! I had to bust out my tire jack to get *used* GP4000S tires onto my now-finished wheels. I ordered some speed levers because I don't know that I could change the tire trailside with regular levers. I am using veloplugs too, though these rims don't have a very deep center channel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

That seems to be the deal with many new rims. I've mounted my friends Flo's and my Pacenti's with a few different tires, both seem much more difficult than my older wheels.

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, I had heard this about the Pacentis too which is why I didn't choose those for this wheelset. My H+ Son rims are easy, as are all Kinlin, Stans, and couple sets of open mold carbon rims I have used. I did have a set of problematic EA50 rims once too; I guess those were also notorious. I don't understand why these companies are specing rims that are too large. I will ride these -- with metal levers and/or speed levers -- but definitely wouldn't recommend them to others. Not being able to easily change a tire with standard equipment is a pretty big deal. Glad I was not planning to use these with tubeless tires!

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I found this from fairwheel bikes on another forum:

"I believe bikerjulio said it best. There are tolerances, some will fit better than others these tolerances are often chosen by the manufacturer, more on that later. Also there might be small tolerances between batches of rims but this shouldn't be noticeable. The main variable in our experience is spoke count and tension. Higher spoke count and higher tension will shrink the diameter a very small amount that is more perceivable when mounting tires.

Since we helped design these rims with Pacenti we have a bit more insight. When we get prototype rims there are up to six different rims sent with very small variations in the rim diameter and we lace them all up to test out which we like best. This lacing is done with typical builds and spokes to best guess how a rim is going to perform with the load. With the SL23 we didn't choose the largest diameter but close to. Our reasoning fell in line with Campy's in that a slightly larger diameter was better. The benefits are if you have a blowout a tire is more likely to stay on the rim and keep you upright. Also, slightly larger diameter tires are more likely to hook into the rim and will take higher pressures without the chance of failure. The drawback is it's a bit harder to mount the tire, a small price to pay IMO.

Even so, like most people here have said, it is possible to get most tires on and off without levers. Make sure to set the tire in the center channel all the way around the rim when installing it. This gives a bit more space to roll the final bit onto the rim.

Hope this helps you out."