HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:15 pm 

Indeed.

OP -- look at it this way: the weight is in the hub, where it matters least.

Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:15 pm 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:39 am 

bikerjulio wrote:
wowja wrote:
Ok so I called Campagnolo North America and they explained the 100gr difference is due to a steel Shimano/Sram freehub body vs the alloy Campagnolo. So I guess it makes sense freewheels designed for a market competitor is made with cheaper (heavier) materials.

Will I be able to buy a titanium or alloy shimano/sram freewheel for the Campy hubs? I tried searching but seems unclear if its interchangeable.

I asked you if it was a shimano freehub.

And the answer was "no".

Sorry, I think I was delirious from work when I read it.

graeme_f_k wrote:
wowja wrote:
Ok so I called Campagnolo North America and they explained the 100gr difference is due to a steel Shimano/Sram freehub body vs the alloy Campagnolo. So I guess it makes sense freewheels designed for a market competitor is made with cheaper (heavier) materials.

Will I be able to buy a titanium or alloy shimano/sram freewheel for the Campy hubs? I tried searching but seems unclear if its interchangeable.

The Shimano cassette body is steel as they use far shallower splines than Campagnolo, and the load bearing area is far smaller in consequence - Shimano use steel in their own product - it's got nothing to do with Campagnolo making for compatibility with a competitor at a cheaper prices / heavier material, it's just basic engineering.

You need to bear in mind this is the same part as they use in the Fulcrum wheels, which are targetted at the OE market with it's preponderance of Shimano (and in come markets, SRAM) components.

AFAWK there are no Ti cassette bodies available to fit Campagnolo hubs, with Shimano *or* Campag splines - anyone know of anything out there?

This was helpful and makes a lot of sense. Now time for me to put last parts together and go ride!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:41 am 

BTW, tires were such a b*tch to get on, which I knew from reading other's experiences. I went out and got some velo plugs and its much easier now. =)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:52 pm 

Today I received a set of Neutron Ultra's (campy freehub) front 680g rear 908g to replace a 2013 set of Zondas front 700g rear 880g (not 2way and same scales)
So a net gain of 8g! + the weight of rim strips which the Zondas don't use, wish I'd just stuck with the Zondas,
campy's not being honest with weights anymore, while the Zonda's are fairly close to claimed the Neutrons are way over.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:01 pm 

"Campy's not being honest with weights"? My Bora 35's weighed exactly what Campag said they would.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:35 am 

I thought this thread was about Neutron Ultras being overweight?
I'll post some pics on a scale soon
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=125551

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:58 am 

wowja wrote:

No offence to Campag USA but that's complete and utter bollocks! I have the Campag version and they weigh 1573 take away the weight of the rim tapes at 41g and that leaves you with a wheel weight of 1532 which is considerably above the stated weight. I've heard that Fulcrum wheel weights can also be taken with a huge pinch of salt. In fairness to Shimano their stated component weights are also right on the money.

Go to page Previous  1, 2