Are carbon wheels still noisy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

derek

by derek

I test rode bikes with carbon wheels (around 40mm and 50mm wheels) two years ago and the wheels made it sound like you were riding a fully wooden wheels. Do all new carbon wheels sound the same? I really like the look of fully black wheels but don't like the extra sound carbon wheels make so I've also been thinking about Mavic Ksyrium SLR WTS. But those cost about twice as much as chinese carbons :p

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

If you want quiet braking you should go with an alloy rim, or go disc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

I hope so.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

derek wrote:I test rode bikes with carbon wheels (around 40mm and 50mm wheels) two years ago and the wheels made it sound like you were riding a fully wooden wheels. Do all new carbon wheels sound the same?

If you mean the hollow sound of carbon rims, shallower ones will have that less than the deeper ones.

If you mean squealing, lots of people, including myself, have had success using Reynolds blue pads on "generic" carbon rims. But of course SwissStop has been busy too, since the yellows have been introduced -- I've just not tried anything newer from them, because Reynolds are cheaper and perform good enough. A lot depends on the brake caliper, too. Stronger (often heavier) ones many times work better and vibrate less -- less noise.

derek

by derek

HillRPete wrote:
derek wrote:I test rode bikes with carbon wheels (around 40mm and 50mm wheels) two years ago and the wheels made it sound like you were riding a fully wooden wheels. Do all new carbon wheels sound the same?

If you mean the hollow sound of carbon rims, shallower ones will have that less than the deeper ones.

If you mean squealing, lots of people, including myself, have had success using Reynolds blue pads on "generic" carbon rims. But of course SwissStop has been busy too, since the yellows have been introduced -- I've just not tried anything newer from them, because Reynolds are cheaper and perform good enough. A lot depends on the brake caliper, too. Stronger (often heavier) ones many times work better and vibrate less -- less noise.

I mean the hollow sound. I would get 38mm wheels max. Is there big difference in sound between 38mm and 50mm?

I live in pretty flat country so I'm not that worried about the braking sound.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm no expert, but all carbon wheels seem to be louder. Why, my guess is that with the thinner material for the same strength, it would be more like a drum. Since noise is just a vibration you can hear, the thinner material just vibrates a little more in a range you can hear.

Again, I'm no expert and can just barely even ride a bike.

audiphile

by audiphile

I routinely ride sets of shallow alloy, 45mm deep carbon and 65mm deep carbon wheels. While the alloy wheels are somewhat quieter, I would never say that the 45 or the 65 are terribly loud. I think the sound may vary based on whether the carbon on the wheel is a fairing or structural (could be wrong), but regardless never found them to be terribly offensive.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

When I am going properly my breathing is loader than the hollow sound and so is the wind noise and the tyre noise.

jooo

by jooo

If it's that much of a bother, you could investigate some foam-core rims.

Spaetzle

by Spaetzle

Mine Are quiet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

derek

by derek

jooo wrote:If it's that much of a bother, you could investigate some foam-core rims.

Have to look on those.