D-A WH-7850-c24-TU hub tools

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TuplaO

by TuplaO

OK, getting more than a bit confused here. Please excuse the noob-ish question. :oops:

I've got some play on my D-A WH-7850-C24-TU rear hub, so I'm looking to make a simple and small adjustment (i.e. won't be pulling apart or overhauling anything). What size and how many cone wrenches and/or spanners do I need for adjusting the hub (front and rear)?

Heres my problem: the techdoc shows a 17 mm spanner and a couple of allen keys, but in connection with replacing the freehub body (which I'm not going to do). Sheldon talks about two 14mm cone wrenches. What about the lock nut? I also read somewhere that D-A hubs need the flat cone wrenches for everything.

I need to buy the wrenches, so just trying a bunch of them until I find what I need isn't practical. I'm hoping someone could give me the correct types, sizes and number, so I can get what I need and adjust the damn thing. :D

Thanks for reading!

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

A quick google search of the rear shows it looks like a standard 17mm cone spanner and 4 or 5mm allen keys should do the trick if you need to adjust the preload on the cup & cone bearings. If you're unsure about what I mean about adjusting bearing preload, there are a lot of resources you can look at including Sheldon which you've already discovered. If adjusting the preload doesn't change anything then you can look at the free hub.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Hope I can "borrow" this thread as it's on the same subject.

Does anyone know where to get spares for these (rear) hubs? My wheelset is fine except for the rear hub that would need a set of new bearings. The LBS doesn't have a clue so I'm hoping someone can help me.
Ride it like you stole it

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

^ This is also quite simple, really surprised your LBS don't know how. Like other shimano hubs the DA uses cup and cone bearings, so if yours are dead you can simply get more. From memory the drive side bearings are just loosely packed against the race, non drive side sit in the 'cup.' However Shimano have reversed which side has loose bearings with some models, including mtb hubs, but the procedure is still valid for all.

You may just find that you need to add new grease instead of bearings as well...

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Thanks for your reply. The LBS seems to think the inside cones is the body of the hub itself. Once that is worn the whole hub is useless. (so I'm told)

Unfortunately I don't have the technical details by Shimano, if the system is indeed the way you say (which is logical) then it should be no issue if the cones and bearings can be ordered. Do you by any chance have an adress for that??

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The LBS is on about the bearing cups pressed into the shell. These are not replaceable and once worn the hub is past it's best. Cone for the 7800 series wheels are no longer available in the U.K so don't let those wear either as that will wreck the wheel. The only way to know is a full strip down, it is not hard. I am sure a 17mm spanner and a 5mm allen key are the tools needed. However I have a full tool kit so I don't need to remember.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

bmp0p700f is right about the cups being non-replaceable, but I think its quite unlikely they have been worn out unless the hub has serious serious mileage.

Tomstr, to my knowledge Shimano aren't doing spare parts, however if you dissemble the the hub and take one of the bearings into any industrial bearing store, they will be able to supply you with replacements. They aren't any special bicycle bearings.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Thanks guys!

Sounds like a good idea for the rainy days. Throwing the wheels out feels a bit wrong as they are still straight and round and ride beautifully.

Oswald

by Oswald

Check the Shimano tech docs for the correct parts.
http://bike.shimano.com.sg/publish/cont ... ype-..html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Thanks mate!