Campagnolo Omega Strada XL clincher rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boneman

by boneman

Up until 15 years ago I rode only on tubs. This changed after moving from the States to London when I switched to clinchers due to the enormous amount of broken glass in the capital. Finally after 15 years I'm back in the US and slowly liquidating excess bike supplies. I've sold off all my machine built wheels and only ride what I build.

I have a pair of 32h NOS rims referenced above. Wide before wide became the new normal and relatively light at a claimed 375gr per rim, I have been holding them off on the side while selling all my tub rims, cassette hubs, and steel frames, etc.

I've got one more bike build in the queue, 1985 NOS Merckx 753. Running gear will be Campag 10. For wheels, I initially thought of going with 20/24 WI hubs in silver and silver HPlus Son Archetypes also in silver. But I have some 2000/2006 Campag Rec/Chorus/Centaur hubsets lying around and may combine them with the Omega XL rims.

Anyone have experience with using them with 130mm rear hubs? Also what maximum DS tension was used? Note that these are not the same construction as the regular Omega Strada. Being lighter and wider, the sidewalls are thinner and I would guess the same applies to the rim/spoke bed so they may not be up to the dish with a 130mm rear hub.

I weigh 55k and I am easy on equipment including wheels. I ride 8,000-10,000k/year with no more racing.
The facts, while interesting, are not relevant.......

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

for the wheel to be stable I would use 1100N DS rear ideally 1200N anything less will give very low NDS rear tension and comprimise spoke life. If the rim goes all wobbly at that tension pick another rim like the ambrosio montreal or the lighter chrono.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I had some of those. Still do I think laced to some 126mm Athena hubs in the basement. They are hard anodized and cracked like a MoFo at the drive side spoke holes. I was way too ignorant back then to even think about asking the builder about the tension spec. I thought they were cool tho! (Until they cracked....)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'd be thinking about using nipple washers on the DS. Given what I've heard on the interwebs.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

boneman

by boneman

@bm0p- agreed on the 110

@Twiggy- yeah, I've heard that about the hard anodized rims from that period although I personally never had it happen but there's always a first time.

@bikerjulio- they have double ferrules so washers are not going to help although it's a great idea

Well I just pulled out a pair of 2002/2006 Chorus hubs. Will have to repack the rear, order some spokes and just give it a go.
The facts, while interesting, are not relevant.......