Road Wheels recommendation for woman under 105 lb

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Disagree with that.
I have been riding tubulars for years - it's definitely a lot more work than clinchers.
A properly glued tubular needs some muscle to get off the rim.
If she struggles with clinchers and finds it hard to change flats, I would strongly advise aganst tubulars for such a rider.
Clinchers are way more convenient for most people and they have come a long way in ride quality.
I would choose something like dura ace c24s - pretty aero for the rim depth - or if budget allows, zipp 202s.
As for the weight, you can build clinchers that are a bit lighter as the ones suggested but almost none of the weight savings will be in the rims. There's not much of a performance benefit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jenfromzen

by jenfromzen

Most of my rides are local and I always bring a phone. I can't see getting a flat that often. If I need a taxi or ride from family or friend one day so be it. I will prolly also get better clinchers too later in the year for maybe colder rides or any rides that might be hard to get a ride if stranded. I've had one flat in two years. I will pay a shop to fix it. I can change a clincher just not the fastest as I flat rarely and don't practice bec I work full time, ride and sew.

I don't want discourage any women. We can do it. Just may need more practice to do it in a reasonable time. I used to work on bikes, building them completely, so I do want encourage woman to learn as much as they want. Just for me I've got my sewing hobby I can barely get done as it is. I worked on bikes before they were as complicated as they are today. I've also built computers. Just these days I rather pay someone to work on my bike and have time for other things.

I really want to do my own experiment with the wheels. I will see how much benefit I think they provide and at very least hope they look cool on my already sweet ride. I will hafta post photos when I get them.

I got lost in Catskills during a race (don't ask!) and I didn't flat, but I just bonked and had no idea how get back so I ended up getting a like 50 mi ride from a nice lady, but I certainly don't want rely on hitchhiking. Her car was perfect tho. The trunk was empty and so big it fit without taking the wheels off. :thumbup:

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Borrow a pair of deep dish wheels and decide for yourself how much it's worth to you. Just be prepared to buy a new $70 tire+ gluing labor in case you do float.

jenfromzen

by jenfromzen

I think I can buy a new tire once or twice a year. Especially right now with no living expenses and no kids to pay for. I'm not dying my hair now or getting nails done. I don't go out much. I can afford tubular tires. If I move and have living expenses then I hope I have a good job.

jenfromzen

by jenfromzen

Also Xentis told me you actually CAN swap the wheels between their carbon rims and alloy rims no problem WITHOUT changing the brake pads. I think that will be awesome and a big plus over the other rims I could have chosen. I'm still in the process of ordering the parts for the wheels.

jenfromzen

by jenfromzen

Well I'm doubting I would want swap wheels back n forth much, but the Xentis rep wrote to me:

You can swap back and forth as you like. The machined carbon brake surface is so hard that the small aluminum residue on the brake pads will not damage in any way the carbon brake surface. Xentis has done tests where they tried to purposely scratch the surface with some pieces of aluminum without success.

He further goes on to say:
Xentis has developed together with DT Swiss their own brake pads. You can use these on any aluminum/alloy rim and of course on the Xentis rims. With these the brake performance is really excellent.

So I dunno. If I'm afraid still, I can swap the pads if swapping wheels.

rmerka

by rmerka

That may be that the braking surface has some kind of secret sauce in it that allows you to swap alloy and carbon but what's a $2000 set of wheels worth? With only a 24 month warranty I personally wouldn't do it. Even if they offered a lifetime warranty, you never know when someone like the Divine Cycling Group might want to make another "purchase".

Added: I find this line in their warranty troubling considering the claims they make regarding this brake pad switching thing...

http://www.xentis.com/en/terms-and-condition wrote:Our guarantee specifically does not apply to defects that are based on unprofessional
use, excessive use, or that are based on abrasion