New wheel build ENVE 6.7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

slick1

by slick1

Well, after I finally bought the frame and group set if wanted (Look 695 with Campagnolo Super Record groupset, I thought I better buy the wheels I want.

I went for a set of ENVE 6.7 with White Industries T11 hubs and DT Swiss Aerolight spokes. Here are some pics of the wheels.

Hopefully the bike will be built up in the next month or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sweet.. you will love them.. I have the 3.4s on my 695
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

slick1

by slick1

Thanks. I was going to go for the 3.4 but after speaking to a few guys and also trying them out for myself, the 6.7 were the ones for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Twinning

by Twinning

slick1 wrote:Well, after I finally bought the frame and group set if wanted (Look 695 with Campagnolo Super Record groupset, I thought I better buy the wheels I want.

I went for a set of ENVE 6.7 with White Industries T11 hubs and DT Swiss Aerolight spokes. Here are some pics of the wheels.

Hopefully the bike will be built up in the next month or so.

Why do the wheels have that white w stamped on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick1

by slick1

The W is the company logo who built the wheels. It's a decal so it can come off at any time.

wkwong80

by wkwong80

I have these exact same wheels. They're great. Raced them this weekend with crosswinds are they are great. Strong and can be built up very stiff. My only slight complaint is that there's a slight play in the WI front hub bearings. Don't notice it while riding but you can hear the wheel rattle when you lift the front off the ground.

slick1

by slick1

Yep. Great wheels indeed. I was tossing between Chris King hubs, DTSwiss240 or White industries. Chris kings are nice but a bit complicated for a rear hub (sound great though), DT Swiss, great hubs and with my experiences with them, not a bad thing to say about them and the White Industries, another great hub, simple to work on and fairly robust.

I hope your issue with your front wheel is easily fixed.

OSOK1989

by OSOK1989

Why not Enve 3.4?

kode54

by kode54

wkwong80 wrote:I have these exact same wheels. They're great. Raced them this weekend with crosswinds are they are great. Strong and can be built up very stiff. My only slight complaint is that there's a slight play in the WI front hub bearings. Don't notice it while riding but you can hear the wheel rattle when you lift the front off the ground.

could the rattle be the valve stem hitting the valve hole area? that's the noise it makes on my 3.4 SES. easily fixed by wrapping electrical tape around area that contacts the valve hole.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

What a great looking build! I'm on a similar setup but I opted to go with the 3.4s instead. Great to be rolling on American made rims and hubs though!

slick1

by slick1

@OSOK1989 I rode the 3.4 and the 6.7 and I found t great e 6.7 to feel stiffer and once they were up to speed they seemed to roll better. Others might have other opinions. Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prowheelbuilder

by prowheelbuilder

Two thoughts on the WI end play. First there is an adjustable collet on one side of the hub. Simply locate the hole / window that gains you access to the a 2mm allen set screw. Once there simply loosen the set screw (only one set screw on the front hub) by a half turn then push the collet inwards (not the end cap as this will no affect on the side load) while pushing the other end of the axle then re tighten the set screw. You may want to rotate the axle slightly from the collet to insure the set screw does not enter the same indentation in the axle. The second thought is that side load on the bearings can be adjusted with the Quick Release as well. Simply by tightening the Quick Release more force is transmitted to the axle and therefore applies more load on the bearings. This is less true of newer larger axled hubs such as the WI however a moderate amount of movement can still be achieved.
Regarding the comment of the 6.7's feeling stiffer, as the cross section in the rim increases the overall structure of the wheel depends on the spokes less (not to mention spokes have become shorter as well). All this adds up to a stiffer wheel in all directions. By Enve's own admission the 6.4's and the 3.4's share about the same trajectory of drag as the yaw angle increases except the 3.4's require about 20 watts more power to drive them into the same winds. The advantage is clearly goes to the 6.7's in every category except for two, vertical compliance and moment of inertia weight. I would have normally thrown cross wind in there as well however according to this VeloNew product review of the 6.7's there is an actual negative cross wind affect with the 6.7's i.e. you are pulled into the cross wind versus being pushed away (this is remarkable given the greater surface area of the 6.7's) Here is that VeloNews link if anyone is interested. http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/ ... e_264284/5
"If the frame is the heart of the bicycle, the wheels are its soul". Richard Craig

www.prowheelbuilder.com