Easton ea90 Aero Wheelset: Actual Weight, Ride Impressions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

baldkingpin

by baldkingpin

The most recent ea90 aero wheelset thread died on p.2 and no one has ever posted an actual weight of this wheelset, on this site or anywhere on the web I can find. So, I'd kindly suggest to the moderators that this post be allowed to remain as a stand-alone thread for folks looking for an actual weight of this new wheelset (especially since the ww listings are apparently dead as a doornail...). I know I wanted this info. 2 weeks ago...

My ea90 aero's arrived today and bare (i.e. w/o rim tape, skewers, cassette, etc.) they weighed 1546g. That's 1 solitary gram over Easton's claimed weight and I confirmed it with mulitple weigh-ins on two digital scales. Surprised me since the 'Bay seller said his set weighed a few grams over 1600g, which is about what I expected.

So, this isn't a ww set, but they offer a farily aero 28mm front/32mm rear, Sapim bladed spokes, low spoke count (18/20) with very good hubs. At $450, this ain't bad for a good all-around durable training wheelset. Very cool aesthetically, as well. Graphics are well done, decals seem thick and durable and rim depth is noticeable w/o being obviously deep dish, which is the case when you hit 35mm+.

Wheels were very true out of the box, perfectly dished. I threw on some Conti 4000s tires and Rox SuperDute tape and did 40 miles on them, incorporating some varied climbing, fast technical descending and some short sprints. They feel very good, wind up nearly as fast as several more ww (1400g and less) clincher sets I have - not as fast, but not a big penalty - and, frankly, I didn't sense the extra weight climbing 5-7% stuff. Felt very laterally stiff, no break rub at 1100 watts and my ZG's are set very close to the rim. As far as whether they offer an aero advantage, and to what extent, I have no idea but I suspect the low spoke count and semi-aero rims are somewhat helpful.

That's it. While there are certainly some other good semi-aero inexpensive options out there (Williams, Rol, etc.), these seem to offer a decent balance at a good price. If chainlove ever does the $378 deal again, I think that'd be a no-brainer. The only thing I don't like is the twin-thread spokes, which look to be a pita if one snaps as they require loctite, drying time, etc.

Hope this helps someone. :D
Attachments
ONCO.jpg

Fitnerd

by Fitnerd

Awesome.. I was one person asking about them. Thanks very much for posting your impressions

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robnfl

by robnfl

Thanks for the post. I was looking at these on ebay too. These wheels are on my short (ok maybe long) list of wheels that I'm thinking about. I want a more aero style of wheel than my bonti's.

Rob
"Speed kills...oh well, we've all gotta go sometime!"

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

thanks for the report.
How much do you weigh?
MyGiant! MyScalpel!
".....but our amps go to eleven"

baldkingpin

by baldkingpin

I'm a 164lb., 41 year-old Cat. 2 rolleur (not a great climber or sprinter but can do both reasonably well) - not a masher or spinner and put out o.k. wattage (1200w range). I'm historically moderately easy on wheels, but have destroyed my fair share.

So, I guess I'm a pretty middle-of-the-road rider in terms of weight and power. The biggest impression I have of these wheels is that they feel very laterally stiff, which is confirmed by my own very unscientific tests comparing them to other, lighter clinchers I have lying around (e.g. a 1475g set of 27mm-deep Rol d'Huez', that I really like, by the way, for their very quick spin-up). The Eastons feel great sprinting - that's definitely their strong point. I also suspect the deeper dish/increased mass will result in a pretty bombproof wheel, like a Ksyrium but a bit lighter with much better aerodynamics and half the price.

I think these wheels would be fine for heavier riders. A very good daily training wheelset for all-around riding, even when some climbing is involved. Did 70 hard miles today on them and am liking them more and more.

flipperfeet

by flipperfeet

Me too interested in these wheels, but also the AMC 420's. Anyone got a direct comparison - weight, stiffness, durability etc?

Ta
My round? I bought a round last year....

jmg3

by jmg3

save up and get ec90 aero tubulars
| adiStar Comp 4 |

Birch

by Birch

I've got these on my list as well as the DA 7850 Tubeless.

These are to replace a set of Mavic Elite's. I'm big at 6'3" and 215lbs with the power to match, so stiff, durable, light (in that order) are what I'm looking for.

Decisions decisions!!

Kevin3182

by Kevin3182

Hey everyone,

Will eastons ea90 aero (the shitty heavy aluminum ones) be more aero than mavic open pros? I have both wheels but I'm just wondering for general racing purposes which would be best too go for. Im talking road racing, TTTs and crits.
Btw im a poor college student so thats the reason for the inexpensive stuff.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Kevin3182 wrote:Hey everyone,

Will eastons ea90 aero (the shitty heavy aluminum ones) be more aero than mavic open pros? I have both wheels but I'm just wondering for general racing purposes which would be best too go for. Im talking road racing, TTTs and crits.
Btw im a poor college student so thats the reason for the inexpensive stuff.

Thanks

If you're looking for aero on a budget look into Flo 30, handbuilt wheels with Flo 30 rim, or a set of Fly bike carbon tubulars. You can get all three options for under $500 each.